Good Morning Vietnam!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Tien Giang
March 31st 2015
Published: March 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

After an hour and 1/2 bus ride we boarded a boat to an island in the Mekong River. Pictures tell the story of what we saw.

Our guide explained that the women in Viet Nam cover themselves because they want to have pale skin. They even wear socks with their flip flops. The number of scooters is astounding and you do need a license here but they use both sides of the road so they don’t let foreigners drive on their own.

Our guide also explained that Vietnam is experiencing prosperity and people are very positive about their future and improvement day by day. Did sense some bitterness with the North as they changed their capital city from Saigon to Hanoi and changed the name. He said Ho Chi Minh city is for paper only. It will always be Saigon to them.

People were very friendly and welcoming as we toured a couple of houses of the locals. The ladies of the house were both watching TV while lounging in a hammock. Not a couch in site.

As an aside, the ship has only about 370 passengers as so many canceled because of the fire. They have
CountrysideCountrysideCountryside

Working in the rice fields - notice the grave to the right. They bury their ancestors in the rice fields close to home! They are underground but build up the marker to impress no doubt!
canceled a few excursions due to lack of attendance but so far the ones we signed up for have gone as scheduled. It is almost eerie to go to one of the bar areas and no one is there or have just a sprinkling of people in the Grand Dining Room. We don’t have to wait too long for our food and never for a table as we have experienced on other cruises.

For those of you reading this blog, we only have 100 more days to go! LOL

Shout out to Sheila Marcil on her birthday!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

So adorable!So adorable!
So adorable!

We showed him his picture on our cameras and he was giddy!
A more prosperous homeownerA more prosperous homeowner
A more prosperous homeowner

80 year old owner - very gracious!
Snake LadySnake Lady
Snake Lady

She was giving it a kiss!
Our lunch!Our lunch!
Our lunch!

This beautiful presentation was taken apart at our table by a worker and made into a roll with cucumber. The fish was delicious too!
Spring Rolls and Lychee nutsSpring Rolls and Lychee nuts
Spring Rolls and Lychee nuts

Just ate the spring roll!
Goodbye SaigonGoodbye Saigon
Goodbye Saigon

Sailing away this afternoon - another great port!


31st March 2015

Good Morning Vietnam !
You made Robin Williams proud! Interesting country, great pictures and descriptions ! Please show some deserts! I think you are going to return home very skinny.
31st March 2015

No real desserts!
I don't think there is any chance of coming home skinny. The places we have been off ship have not served any sweet high calorie desserts. They serve fruit. You have seen the size of the Vietnam people right? I will take some pictures of the desserts on ship - they are pretty spectacular! and they taste good too!

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb