Hammocks and Sunsets


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » An Giang » Chau Doc
June 19th 2011
Published: June 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We crossed the border to Vietnam where we actually had to cross the border by foot. Cue more stamps, arrival cards, forms and visa’s. The border crossing broke up the bus ride a bit and it took about an hour more to get to our hotel. We stayed the night in Chau Doc, which is a town on the Mekong Delta to break up the journey to Ho Chi Minh City a little.
However, we had an awesome evening in Chau Doc! We all got motorbikes (don’t worry, we had a driver each and just sat on the back) and rode up Sam Mountain to sit in hammocks, drink beer and watch the sun set. It took 40 minutes each way so we had a great time on the bikes. On the way we saw loads of villages and scenery and I took lots of beautiful pics. My driver was a bit mad and we went up the mountain so fast, over a really bumpy road the whole way.

Hammocks are everywhere in Cambodia and Vietnam but none of us had actually sat in one yet so we spent some time at a little shack on the mountain relaxing. The sunset was really beautiful and again, see pics! Chau Doc is quite small and not touristy so we just had dinner at the first place we found. They gave us only chopsticks at first, which always makes me and Terry a bit worried because lets face it, how do you actually eat with them? Luckily, we got a fork with our main course and it was pretty tasty. Vietnam also has two currencies, Dong (haha, yes, lots of dong jokes have been told) and US Dollars. It’s 20,000 dong to $1. So, basically, if you withdraw £30 worth of dong, you’re a MILLIONAIRE. We think it’s a little bit cheaper than Cambodia so far as our banana pancakes for breakfast were only 16,000 dong and they were delicious too.

Today we’ve spent 7 hours getting to Ho Chi Minh City, aka Saigon. Tonight is the last night that some of the people in our group are with us so were going out for Mexican or Italian food to celebrate a successful tour of Cambodia. We have loads of sightseeing planned in the city tomorrow which hopefully will be carried out hangover free.
I won’t be on facebook for a couple of weeks now because it is blocked in Vietnam. I’ve found a little hack, so if that works I’ll be back online!



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb