The Big Day


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » An Giang » Chau Doc
April 2nd 2008
Published: April 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The GreetingThe GreetingThe Greeting

Hard to hold back tears with a 'hello' like this
We traveled from Chau Doc to a village by the name of Hoa Lac, where our school is located. A 7 mile drive took two hours! To say "the road was bumpy" is an understatement. You can ask my cousin Helen who got carsick twice! We began to hand out candy, suckers, balloons and other goodies to the kids along the road through our windows. At one point, the narrow dirt road traveled through a small rice business... one of our buses was too big to fit through all the bags of rice. Everyone had to get out of the bus and rearrange the 225 pound bags of rice so it could fit through. Because the rest of our vans were at a dead stop during the rice rearranging, we were able to get out of our van and hand these kids a few small gifts and really interact with them and their families. These kids have so few personal posessions and something as small as a balloon just absolutely made their day. It just really touched my heart.

Then we finally reached the school! It was so rewarding to finally see it. The entrance way was lined with
Abby in the streetsAbby in the streetsAbby in the streets

The dirt road to the school was lined with houses -- when the vans got held up -- the kids went out to say hello to the people gathering there.
cheering kids... clapping, drumming, waving flags and singing. I teared up seeing all these kids so happy, and knowing I played a part in making that happen. There was a beautiful ceremony of dedicating the school, where children sang, and representatives from the school spoke. Many people from Kids Building Hope even got to cut the ribbon on the school! It felt so good to see all these people gathered to celebrate the school. After the dedication, the kids lined up and we handed out backpacks, school supplies and the noodles we had bought yesterday with money donated from family and friends. The kids were so appreciative. It was humbling to see each kid bow to us and thank us as they took their gifts. After we handed out the gifts, we went into one of the classrooms where the younger children sang for us. Then my brother and cousin along with a Friends of Danang member started a four square game with the boys. My sister and I talked with the kids. Most of the older kids spoke a little english, pretty impressive. They knew enough to answer your standardized small talk questions... we learned eachother's names and ages...
narrow passagenarrow passagenarrow passage

See the rice warehouse in the background -- one bus was too wide to pass. People pitched in to move rice bags and get the bus through.
and smiled a lot. After about an hour of hanging around these sweet kids, we bid farewell to them and their school. As we pulled out in the vans, the kids formed a line waving good-bye to us.

I felt sad to leave, but filled with hope... which I guess is pretty fitting.
Carly






Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

people gathering along our stopped vanspeople gathering along our stopped vans
people gathering along our stopped vans

again, this all took place on the dirt road between Chau Doc and the school
This time we couldn't make itThis time we couldn't make it
This time we couldn't make it

Our largest bus couldn't cross this bridge (too large, too heavy) -- so the 'Friends of Danang' who accompanied us -- had to walk over. The school sent a van out to help transport our people.
Carly did a great job!!Carly did a great job!!
Carly did a great job!!

We all felt so proud as Carly spoke to the whole school and government officials with confidence and pride!
Couldn't keep their hands off Helen!Couldn't keep their hands off Helen!
Couldn't keep their hands off Helen!

Everywhere we went throughout our trip -- people wanted to squeeze Helen's cheeks!! Helen was such a good sport -- she always responded with a smile.


2nd April 2008

So Happy for You and PROUD!
What a wonderful day for your group! You have been on our minds all day. We said special prayers for all of you today and the kindergarteners and the second graders from Our Lady of Peace went to Mass today to pray for all of you and especially for the children at the new school! We will be eager to see you!
2nd April 2008

Congradulations to all for a great job and one which will touch so many! Steve
2nd April 2008

It has been fun and exciting to following your adventures each day. We are all proud and impressed by your accomplishment.
2nd April 2008

Wow what an amazing experince! The kids looked thrilled to have you there and recieve something so simple as school supplies. It seems like an experience you will remember for a lifetime! Can't wait to see you and hear more about it! Have a safe journey home!!
3rd April 2008

WOW- what a fantastic culmination of so much hard work! You all must feel so proud. The descriptive journal entry and beautiful photos really captured the joy of your day. Congratulations!! Cyndi

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb