Eye-opening Experiences


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » An Giang » Chau Doc
March 31st 2008
Published: March 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today started with a tour of the region -- we went by boat to see a fish farm. Doesn't sound that interesting -- but it was mesmerizing.... the day in- day out hard work. Without the use of modern equipment -- these workers collect 30,000 pounds of fish per day. They begin by collecting the catfish eggs, then breed, then feed fish in underwater hatcheries... once the fish reach a certain size, they are moved into a bigger pen. They are then harvested by a group of fishermen (each earning 4-5$/day) who use nets, baskets and a crude underwater breathing tube (not exactly OSHA compliant) to bring the fish to the surface .... then it's off to market.

Next stop was at a Cham village -- a minority group within Vietnam's borders. We walked monkey bridges over a swamp covered in water lillies to reach a village selling handicrafts -- weaving and textiles mainly. We were overwhelmed by a group of children hoping to sell us their homemade waffles... we wanted to hand out some small gifts to the children -- but at their level of need, it quickly became clear that there would never be enough. It's a tough life and they do what they have to do in order to survive.

We then travelled off the beaten path -- we went to an outlying area (2km from the Cambodian border). With money contributed by friends/family, we purchased 130 cases of noodles with the intent of distributing this food to the village of Ba Chuc -- the place where 3157 people (men, women and children) were massacred in April of 1978 by Khmer Rouge forces. A monument in the town contains the bones of many of those who died... a sobering remembrance. We were instructed on the proper ritual for paying respect to the dead -- with incense and a moment of silence. Hard to explain this part -- but we were turned away by local officials for not having the proper 'permit'. Not to worry -- we will make good use of the food. We have decided to package the noodles along with the school supplies to give out to each of the students at the dedication (which is tomorrow!!)

Carly and company




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



31st March 2008

frustrating!
Hey Zalenski's and family - We read your 3/31 entry and felt frustrated about the local officials stopping you from distributing the noodles...probably happens more than we realize. Anyway, glad that you thought of a different way to use the food. From Livi: Hey Carly and Abby! Hope your having fun. I loved the pictures of the things you have been experiencing. Can't wait untill you get home and good luck with the school dedication! Love you guys! From Griffin:Hi Jake, I hope you're having a good time. I can't wait untill you get back so we can play outside after school again. It looks like you're doing cool things from the pictures. Jack and I really miss you!
1st April 2008

Hi, Carly! It's hard to believe that you're halfway around the world - but what an adventure! Just looking at these pictures has been a real eye-opening experience - I hope you can share more with us when you get back. You're doing a wonderful thing! Have a safe trip home, Mrs. Snow
1st April 2008

AWESOME!
Happy Easter, Zalenski's and family! It has been truly inspiring to read your adventures: exciting, scary, beautiful, devastating, sad, joyful, and on and on. Thank you so much for letting us experience this with you. I can't imagine what the dedication was like! Be safe! We'll be awaiting your safe return. God bless you all! Debby and family
1st April 2008

We're thinking about you today!
It seems like you have been gone forever. You all seem to be working so hard. . . I am glad you have found some time for fun. We miss you guys and are looking forward to seeing you soon. Happy Birthday to DeeDee!
1st April 2008

looks totally awsome!=]
hey zalenski's!!it looks like your having a wonderful time over there. im really excited to find out about the school deditaction tomarow. the pictures are phenomenal! ive been to fish farms but nothing like that before. it would be really cool to witness such an amazing thing!Carly= every one at school is wishing you a exciting time and a safe trip home. we got the showcase assignment todayand me and carly are in act two ! cant wait till i see you all again ! peace to all -Ally
2nd April 2008

I love reading the entries and studying the pictures. You are having such an adventure! Stay well and home safe.
2nd April 2008

Wow
I can't believe the oficers wouldn't let you give FOOD to the community. Oh, well. Its still going to a good cause. I am so excited that (even though I am in Canton) I was a part of this! Carly: Our teacher made us write a nonfiction composition about anything nonfiction to send to some newspaper in hopes that they will publish it. I wrote mine about Kids Building hope. The tough part was getting it under 250 words! We at the Murphy house miss all of you guys soo much! Can't wait to hear from you!

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb