Da Lat


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast
August 1st 2018
Published: August 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

I'm happy that I set aside extra time (4 nights) for Da Lat.
It's 15F degrees cooler than much of the rest of the country and the tour buses don't run the show. There are plenty of tourists, but they're spread throughout the city, making it feel relatively authentic.

Hiking Langbiang / Dinh Lang Biang Do Cau

Guided tours run around 30 USD but you can do it on your own for much less, especially if you have a motorbike. I took a moto taxi to and from the entrance, which is a good half hour from the city. There are three peaks, and ridiculously unnecessary Jeeps take most tourists to the top of one.

But to hike the trail to the highest peak, I had to walk an hour or so up the paved road, Jeeps humming, squealing and careening by, and then turn onto the trailhead (see photo - it's pretty obvious). From there it's about 4 km to the peak, the last 400m of which is a very difficult, steep, and slippery ascent up partly-washed-out stairs. The summit is a rewarding panorama.

Hike to Buddhist Temple and Meditation Center

It's possible to hike from town to the southern end of Hoy Tuyen Lam, a man-made lake. A single-track trail through a pine forest pretty much follows the cable car above. I picked up the trail at the end of the road by the Krille Cafe.

At the lake, I followed some more trails, walked around the dam area, and then headed to the temple and meditation center, which were pleasant to walk around and that I think were free. Then I took the cable car back.

There are more photos below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Horror Story PremiseHorror Story Premise
Horror Story Premise

I'm not sure if this is legible, but it basically says not to go left after 3PM, to ensure tourist safety. "Oh, but it's only a few minutes past - I'm sure it will be fine." It was 2:15 when I got there and I wasn't taking any chances.
Dinh Lang Biang Do CauDinh Lang Biang Do Cau
Dinh Lang Biang Do Cau

2,167 meters, the highest of the three Langbiang peaks
Steep ClimbSteep Climb
Steep Climb

The last 300 meters of the ascent is 300 steep, difficult steps.
Hike under Cable CarHike under Cable Car
Hike under Cable Car

This trail runs alongside the cable car that leads to the monastery.
TrailheadTrailhead
Trailhead

This trailhead is a 1 - 1 1/2 hour walk on the main road from the park entrance


3rd August 2018
View from Dinh Lang Biang Do Cau

Beauty around the world
We live in a beautiful world

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb