Da Lat


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong
February 18th 2015
Published: May 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Da Lat is a charming little town in the middle of the southern moutains in Vietnam and is dotted with elegant French colonial houses. Da Lat is known for being the biggest city in Vietnam exporting flowers, it is no wonder you can find flowers all over the city. The reason Da Lat can produce that many flowers is due to the very impressive weather changes in one day. Instead of having four seasons in one year, Da Lat has these seasons in one day. Starting in the morning with the spring, followed by the summer during the day, autumn in the afternoon and at last, once the sun is down it gets so cold we have the winter.

The surrounding countryside of this town is blessed by little native villages, waterfalls, pagoda's, lakes, coffee farms and flower gardens. To admire these beauties, we decided to go on a day trip. With a very nice guide, we started our day by visiting the flower gardens and learned more about floriculture. The next stop, we met native Vietnamese people living in a small village in the mountains. We learned about their ways of living, traditions and culture and could even visit one of their houses. Afterwards, we went to the very famous and fabulous elephant waterfalls and the pagoda with a huge smiling buddha in the back yard. Busy day, as our next stop was de coffee plantation, which is one of the major economic forces in Vietnam as they are one of the biggest coffee exporters in the world. Going back to Da Lat, we visit the train station, which appeared to be the oldest one in Vietnam. We finished the day by visiting the Hang Nga Crazy House. Joyfully designed and an architectural exploration of surrealism, this private home built by a Russian artist was really impressive. The house contains super-slim bridges and an excess of cascading walkways and ladders in snake shapes. You can sleep in the surrealistic rooms if you dare.

Da Lat was also the place where we experienced our first "Chinese" New Year! Vietnam celebrates new year at the same time as the Chinese, which was the 19th of February this year. We enjoyed the party atmosphere that was reigning in the town and celebrated this year our second new year! At midnight, we even had again some firework, but as there was not enough wind the firework were a bit hidden by the smoke.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb