Đà Lạt city and the Valley of Love


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
March 19th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The words mean "Valley of Love" The words mean "Valley of Love" The words mean "Valley of Love"

The Valley of Love is a famous site which is located 5km from the center of Đà Lạt city. This was my second visit to the site. My first visit was 15 years ago (December 1998).
13 to 16 March 2013 – I didn’t plan to visit Đà Lạt city. I was happy in Nha Trang beach city for a week, but then I lost my money at a market because of my carelessness. This made me sad, so I decided to do something that could make me feel better. I booked a bus ticket and moved on to Đà Lạt city. It is 15 years since my last (and also the first) visit to this city, so I wanted to see how the city has changed. Within two weeks, I traveled from the Central Highlands to the South Central Coast, then I came back to the Central Highlands again! Anyway, I had no fixed plan, so I could do whatever I wanted. Also, it's good to try different routes and get new experiences.

Đà Lạt city was found by the French 120 years ago. Its altitude is 1500m, so the weather is cool. We often say “Đà Lạt has four seasons a day”. It’s cool in the morning, hot and sun shines during the day, and cold at night. It’s a favorite destination for Vietnamese honeymoon couples because of beautiful landscapes. There are mountains, lakes,
Xuân Hương lakeXuân Hương lakeXuân Hương lake

This is one of the lakes in the city. This shot was taken at 6:30am. I was on my way to the bus station for leaving Đà Lạt.
waterfalls, villages of the ethnic minority people, coffee plantations etc. On my last visit 15 years ago (in December 1998), I hired a local motorbike taxi driver to show me around the city. We made a list of 16 places to see and the driver took me to all those places for two days. I still kept some photos of me wearing traditional dress of the ethnic minority girls in the Central Highlands at the time. We traveled to the farthest place which was Angkroet waterfall, 20km away from the city. It was still the highlight of my last visit, as the landscape was so wild and beautiful. It was also difficult to go down the waterfall to get its whole view.

The bus left Nha Trang city at 10am and it took about 4 hours to travel 140km. When I traveled on this route 15 years ago, the bus went along Ngoạn Mục pass which had stunning view and I had a photo taken on the top of the pass. At the time the bus trip took 6 hours. Now a new road was opened to shorten the travel time to 4 hours and the bus went along
Statue & French words "Valley of Love"Statue & French words "Valley of Love"Statue & French words "Valley of Love"

The Valley of Love is a large area and it takes time to walk around. There are train, horse cart and jeep services for tourists.
Long Lanh pass. Some Vietnamese in the bus got car sick when the bus was going round sloping bends.

I spent the first half day helping a young tourist find his lost iPhone. According to GPS, the iPhone was somewhere close to a police station which is 7km from the city’s center, so we went there by motorbike. Thanks to the help of a local policeman, he found the iPhone. It turned out that a Vietnamese girl picked up his iPhone and she lived near the police station. We went to see a beautiful pagoda named Linh Phước near the police station. This was a good chance for me, as I could see another area of Đà Lạt. After getting back the iPhone, the tourist took a bus to Sài Gòn, so we said goodbye.

Next day I walked around the center of Đà Lạt city. Things have changed since my last visit 15 years ago. There are more hotels, restaurants and shops relating to tourists, so the price is more expensive. The road in Đà Lạt is always up and down. I went to Đà Lạt market, then walked back to my guesthouse. It rained in the
At a local restaurant in the cityAt a local restaurant in the cityAt a local restaurant in the city

A local boy was grilling pork and chicken at a rice restaurant (Cơm tấm).
afternoon, so I couldn’t go anywhere.

There are different one day tours (US$8-10) but I didn’t take them. I preferred walking around, finding small street side restaurants and talking with people. They always said “Thank you” after I used their services. I also didn’t go to see many tourist sites. The only place I went back to see was the Valley of Love which is 5km from the city’s center. I went there 15 years ago and was impressed by its great view, so I wanted to go back and see how different the place was. The view was still the same, but there were more works which emphasized romance, couples and love for tourists to take photos. As the valley is large, there are train, electric cars, horse carts and jeeps for tourists to see different sites. I only had two hours there, so I didn’t go far to see everything.

When I went back to the market in the afternoon of my last day in Đà Lạt, I saw many people selling food and eating along stairs. I liked the atmosphere there. When I was walking up stairs, I heard a song about the famous Mimosa
View of the Valley of LoveView of the Valley of LoveView of the Valley of Love

I was going to walk down stairs to the lake. 15 years ago I took the same photo at this place.
flowers in Đà Lạt from a shop. This song was sung by a girl from Hanoi more than a decade ago. When she sang this song, she had never been to Đà Lạt, but she sang it so well that later she was invited to come and see Mimosa flowers in reality. The meaning of the song is “Why do you come here Mimosa? I know why. Because you love the life in the highlands with pine trees. Because you love Cam Ly waterfall and Xuân Hương lake. Because you love the city of pine trees which captured my heart.” The words are very beautiful, but my English is not good enough to express them. You can find the song in YouTube "Mimosa tu dau em toi" by Minh Chau.

I didn’t do much during my 3 day visit to Đà Lạt. I decided to take a bus to Vũng Tàu beach city. This was nearly the end of my 3 week trip and soon I would need to go back to Sài Gòn.

Travel tips: Đà Lạt is 140km from Nha Trang (4 hours by bus), 300km from Sài Gòn (8 hours by bus) and 370km from
At the Valley of LoveAt the Valley of LoveAt the Valley of Love

There are statues, flower gardens, heart shaped art works as symbol of love.
Vũng Tàu (8 hours by bus). Guesthouses can help you book bus tickets and the bus will come to pick you up (except for the bus to Vũng Tàu, you must go to the bus station).

Đà Lạt – Ngày 13 đến ngày 16/3/2013

Tôi không hề dự định quay trở lại Đà Lạt. Tôi đang có một khoảng thời gian vui vẻ ở Nha Trang thì đột nhiên tôi bị rơi mất tiền do sự bất cẩn. Điều này làm cho tôi buồn, nên tôi quyết định phải làm một điều gì đó để cảm thấy vui hơn. Tôi đi mua vé xe buýt của hãng Phương Trang và đi ngay lên Đà Lạt. 15 năm đã trôi qua kể từ chuyến đi lần trước (cũng là chuyến đi lần đâu tiên) của tôi tới Đà Lạt, vì vậy nên tôi muốn xem thành phố này đã thay đổi như thế nào. Chỉ trong vòng 2 tuần, tôi đi từ Cao nguyên (Bảo Lộc) xuống vùng biển Nam Trung Bộ (Phan Thiết và Nha Trang), rồi lại quay trở lại Cao nguyên (Đả Lạt). Dù sao thì tôi cũng không có kế hoạch gì cố định,
Bánh giò & Bánh nậm rice cakesBánh giò & Bánh nậm rice cakesBánh giò & Bánh nậm rice cakes

Some types of rice cake (Bánh giò & Bánh nậm) at a street side restaurant in the city.
nên tôi có thể làm bất kỳ điều gì mình muốn. Hơn nữa, tôi cũng muốn đi các cung đường khác nhau để có những trải nghiệm mới.

Thành phố Đà Lạt được người Pháp tìm thấy cách đây 120 năm. Nằm ở độ cao 1500m so với mực nước biển, thời tiết ở đây có bốn mùa trong một ngày. Sáng hơi lạnh, ban ngày nắng nóng, tối đến lại lạnh. Đây là điểm đến yêu thích cho các cặp tình nhân hưởng tuần trăng mật. Đà Lạt nổi tiếng bởi phong cảnh đẹp. Ở đây có nhiều hồ nước, núi, thác, các bản của người dân tộc, đồn điền cà phê v.v. Trong lần đến thăm Đà Lạt cách đây 15 năm, tôi thuê một ông xe ôm chở tôi đi thăm quan mọi nơi. Chúng tôi lập một danh sách 16 điểm thăm quan và đi hết trong vòng 2 ngày. Cho đến giờ tôi vẫn còn giữ những bức hình mặc váy áo của người dân tộc với chiếc gùi ở sau lưng. Nơi mà tôi ấn tượng nhất là thác Angkroet, cách Đà Lạt 20km. Phong cảnh ở đây rất đẹp và đường xuống
Decoration of a dust binDecoration of a dust binDecoration of a dust bin

At the Valley of Love, Đà Lạt city
dưới chân thác để nhìn toàn cảnh thác cũng rất khó đi.

Xe khách rời thành phố Nha Trang vào lúc 10 giờ sáng và đi mất 4 tiếng đồng hồ cho khoảng cách quãng đường dài 140km. Khi tôi đi trên tuyến đường này 15 năm trước, xe đi theo đường đèo Ngoạn Mục với phong cảnh rất đẹp và tôi được chụp hình ở trên đỉnh đèo. Khi đó phải đi mất 6 tiếng đồng hồ mới đến được Đà Lạt. Hiện giờ, đèo Ngoạn Mục không còn được sử dụng nữa mà thay bằng một con đường khác rút ngắn thời gian chỉ còn 4 tiếng đồng hồ là đèo Long Lanh, hay còn gọi là đèo Mới. Khi xe đi trên các khúc cua, mấy người Việt ở trên xe bị say xe.

Tôi dành nửa ngày đầu tiên ở Đà Lạt để giúp đỡ một khách du lịch trẻ tuổi tìm lại chiếc iPhone bị rơi ở trên đường. Theo định vị toàn cầu thì chiếc iPhone này ở đâu đó gần đồn công an, cách trung tâm Đà Lạt 7km. Chúng tôi đến đó bằng xe máy. Nhờ một chú công an
Chè đậu xanh (Green bean sweet soup)Chè đậu xanh (Green bean sweet soup)Chè đậu xanh (Green bean sweet soup)

A street vendor carried this type of sweet soup and sold it. VND 7,000 (30 US cents) for a pack.
giúp đỡ, chiếc iPhone đã được quay về với chủ. Hóa ra là một cô gái người Việt nhặt được ở trên đường và cô sống ở gần đồn công an. Chúng tôi tranh thủ đến thăm chùa Linh Phước ở gần đó. Ngôi chùa này rất đẹp và rộng lớn. Sau khi tìm thấy chiếc iPhone bị mất, người khách du lịch lên xe đi Sài Gòn, nên chúng tôi chào tạm biệt nhau.

Ngày hôm sau, tôi đi dạo quanh khu vực trung tâm của Đà Lạt. Mọi thứ đã thay đổi kể từ chuyến đi của tôi cách đây 15 năm. Hiện giờ, ở đây có nhiều nhà hàng, khách sạn và cửa hàng liên quan đến du lịch và giá cả ở đây cũng đắt hơn. Các con đường ở Đà Lạt khá dốc, nhiều đoạn đường cao thấp khác nhau và phải đi bằng bậc thang. Tôi đi ra chợ Đà Lạt, rồi quay trở về nhà nghỉ. Buổi chiều, trời mưa to, nên tôi không thể đi đâu được.

Ở nhà nghỉ có bán tour thăm quan thành phố với giá 160.000 đồng cho đến 210.000 đồng, nhưng tôi không muốn đi
Ritual outside a restaurantRitual outside a restaurantRitual outside a restaurant

The locals worship twice per month (on the second and sixteenth days of the lunar calendar) for the wandering ghosts. I found this only happens in the Central Highlands.
theo tour. Tôi thích dành thời gian đi bộ qua những con phố nhỏ, ghé vào những quán ăn vỉa hè và trò chuyện với mọi người. Họ luôn nói lời “Cảm ơn” sau khi mua hay ăn ở quán của họ. Tôi cũng không đi thăm nhiều nơi như lần trước. Tôi chỉ quay trở lại Thung lũng Tình yêu để xem nơi này thay đổi như thế nào. Tôi vẫn còn ấn tượng bởi vẻ đẹp của thung lũng này trong chuyến thăm 15 năm trước. Thung lũng Tình yêu cách trung tâm Đà Lạt 5km, nên tôi đi bằng xe ôm. Phong cảnh vẫn đẹp như vậy, nhưng ở đây có nhiều biểu tượng tình yêu hơn để khách du lịch chụp hình. Vì thung lũng này khá rộng lớn, nên khách du lịch có thể đi bằng tàu điện, xe jeep, xe ngựa hoặc xe điện để thăm quan các nơi. Vì tôi chỉ có hai tiếng đồng hồ ở đây, nên tôi không thể đi xa và xem tất cả mọi nơi được.

Khi tôi quay trở lại khu chợ vào buổi chiều trong ngày cuối cùng ở Đà Lạt, tôi nhìn thấy nhiều
A flower shop in the cityA flower shop in the cityA flower shop in the city

Behind the shop there is a house for planting flowers. Đà Lạt is famous for planting various types of flowers because of cool weather in the Central Highlands (altitude 1500m).
người bán hàng và ăn uống dọc theo các bậc thang. Tôi thích bầu không khí ở đây. Từ một cửa hàng vang lên bài hát “Mimosa từ đâu em tới”. Đây là bải hát về Đà Lạt do ca sỹ Minh Châu là người Hà Nội trình bày từ hơn một thập kỷ trước. Khi hát bài hát này, cô Minh Châu chưa từng đến Đà Lạt và cũng chưa bao giờ nhìn thấy hoa Mimosa. Nhưng bài hát thành công đến mức về sau cô đã được mời đến Đà Lạt để nhìn tận mắt loài hoa này. Đang dạo bước trên các bậc thang của đất Đà Lạt giữa khung cảnh tấp nập của người Đà Lạt, từng lời của bài hát vang lên thật da diết: “Mimosa từ đâu em tới. Mimosa vì sao em tới đất này. Đà Lạt đồi núi trập trùng. Đà Lạt trời mây nước mênh mông. Anh đã biết rồi em ơi. Vì sao em tới. Tôi đã biết rồi em ơi. Vì em yêu cuộc sống trên cao. Có thông reo rì rào. Vì em yêu dòng thác Cam Ly. Yêu cuộc sống đang dâng trào. Vì em yêu nước
Linh Phước pagodaLinh Phước pagodaLinh Phước pagoda

The pagoda is located 7km from the city's center.
hồ Xuân Hương. Yêu thành phố thông reo. Đã từng lưu luyến trái tim tôi.”

Ba ngày thăm Đà Lạt lần này, tôi không khám phá nhiều nơi. Tôi quyết định rời Đà Lạt và đi xuống thành phố biển Vũng Tàu. Đây cũng là gần cuối chuyến đi kéo dài 3 tuần của tôi, trước khi tôi phải quay trở lại Sài Gòn.

Ghi chú: Đà Lạt cách Nha Trang 140km và đi mất 4 tiếng đồng hồ, cách Sài Gòn 300km và đi mất 8 tiếng đồng hồ, cách Vũng Tàu 370km và đi mất 8 tiếng đồng hồ.


Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 33


Advertisement

Horse & gun for taking a photoHorse & gun for taking a photo
Horse & gun for taking a photo

Horse and gun services for tourists to take photos at the Valley of Love.
At a painting exhibition in the cityAt a painting exhibition in the city
At a painting exhibition in the city

Some symbols of the Central Highlands
Lots of people outside Đà Lạt marketLots of people outside Đà Lạt market
Lots of people outside Đà Lạt market

There are stairs leading to the market and one of them is used as open air restaurants.


18th March 2013

Me too:"I preferred walking around, finding small street side restaurants and talking with people"... thanks for this lovely story.
19th March 2013

Sorry about bad luck
I was sorry to hear about the bad luch with your money Hong Ha. Something like that can really affect a holiday. I have been enjoying your wonderful blog, even when I have been to a place that you write about, it brings back so many memories. Last time I was in Da Lat the lake was empty becuase they were making it bigger. It was so strange not to have that central point, but it did make me go out and see more of the countryside. Thanks for your great blogs.
20th March 2013

Tourism Portal
NICE BLOG!!! Thanks for sharing useful information about Touraeas and being one of best Tourism Website agree that this blog is very useful for the Tourism are Searching for best tourist Places , I would really like to come back again right here for likewise good articles or blog posts. Thanks for sharing...Cheap tour packages Bangalore.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb