UZBEKISTAN - 3 PLACES WE LOVED


Advertisement
Uzbekistan's flag
Asia » Uzbekistan
February 26th 2015
Published: February 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

One of the lesser appreciated destinations around the world, Uzbekistanoffers a whole lot more than one could imagine. A truly culture rich location, you will find on display some of Central Asia’s most rewarding sites and most alluring natural scenes. What’s more, the people are infectiously friendly, there is warmth from all around. While it is hard to pin point where we enjoyed the most, we finally settled for these three places after much deliberation!



TASHKENT

The capital of Uzbekistan, the city is a blend of modernity and a rich cultural heritage. On one side, the new town captures the imagination, with modern streets, beautiful parks, and rich culture, while on the other hand it has elements of the more traditional life on the other side of the city. It is a big city, so it takes some time to explore, but you have to visit the Old Town. There is so much culture and life on display there, it is easy to get carried away: quaint authentic restaurants for the adventurous traveller, the Chorsu Bazaar for the shopaholic, and the Hast-Imam Complex showing off the city’s more devout side. Away from the Old Town, the city night life is also worth the tour with places such as Diamond, Diplomat, and Casanova; you can watch exciting belly dance shows or simply dance the night away, the choice is yours.



NURATAU MOUNTAINS

The Nuratau Mountains are a real nature lovers treat. Uzbekistan’s varied climate make it attractive, but it is the intricate details of its attractions that make it even more magical. Scattered with quaint villages, exciting nature trails, beautiful mountain lakes and river features, the mountain begs to be explored. From the beautiful Gate of Tamerlane to the mysterious Sarmish-Say gorge, there is never a dull moment here. At the end of the day, head over to the nearby Lake Aydakul and experience the hospitality of a yurt camp. If you are looking for a very local, eco-tourist experience, this region will not disappoint.



SAMARKAND

While Tashkent is appealing, it does not quite quench the thirst for a more cultural tourist; that is where Samarkand comes in. One of the oldest cities of the world (about 2,500 years old), Samarkand has witnessed the evolution of urban humanity, and etched that history all over its streets and buildings. You will be treated to the spectacular mesh of Indian, Iranian, Mongolian, and even a bit of Roman influence as you explore its beauty. The breath taking Bibi Khanum Mosque, the Sherdor Madrasah, the Musoleum of Gur-Emir among many other cultural sites will leave you breathless. My favourite is Sha-i-Zinda, a mausoleum of impossible beauty and architectural feat, definitely one of the most under-rated sites in the world! The hotels scene is also quite tasteful, and you can choose to stay somewhere modern like the Ideal Hotel, or a place with a touch of the orient like the Hotel Zarina. Wherever you are it is impossible to ignore the allure of one of the world’s greatest meeting of cultures.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0874s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb