Sell some more rice ...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 19th 2016
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.392, 103.924

I thought that was FA Cup football on TV here for the next three nights but having checked the internet it looks like I am a day early.
I have recently discovered that a cat has set up home in our rice house climbing in through a gap for ventilation beneath the roof. She now has a kitten in there as well. I have been waiting for Jai to arrange to sell some more rice to make room for me to get in there and seal off the gap with some netting but she has been a bit slow. I have given up waiting now, go out to the farm for some bamboo canes then climb over all the stacked sacks of rice and nail up some netting as best as I can.
Jai was out when got back from the farm but with the job now done she tells me that she has arranged with our neighbours to take us into Phon Thong rice station this afternoon.
We start preparations by carrying 10 x 30kg sacks to the front of the house before lunch. After we have eaten we complete the job by moving another 15 x 30kg sacks in readiness for the pick-up arriving. They better come now !!
Sure enough, at 13:00 Deu and Ang arrive and back the pick-up right up to the rice to keep things as easy as possible. We load up then set off for Phon Thong where we discover that todays price is 14.5Bht per kilo; about 30p. The truck is weighed in at 2438kg, we unload then weigh out at 1679kg leaving 759kg of rice to be paid for. By the time the station has taken their commission we are down to 9904Bht, a bit less than 200GBP. We then have to pay our transport 300Bht but on the whole not too bad. I am impressed by how sensitive the scales are as when I stand on the plate they get my weight right to the nearest Kg.
No water pressure from the mains tonight so the veggies have to stay thirsty.
Back at the house we have to put everything back into the rice house and Jai uses the opportunity to make sure all of her charcoal sacks are tied up ready to sell. These are sacks we did ourselves before going into partnership with next door so we get to keep everything we get for selling them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb