Penultimate day at farm ?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
November 29th 2015
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.392, 103.924

Jai goes to the farm whilst I get some petrol for the bike then go to get my haircut in the village 'salon'.
Getting back to the house I wrap my foot up to keep it dry and clean then actually do a bit of gardening.
Give the village hospital a miss today with it being Sunday and the Doc probably apprecia
ting at least a little bit of time off.
In the evening have a bonfire as I attempt to bring the garden back up to date.
Jai returns about 17:30 to say that they have just about finished cutting the rice and tat brother Sai and omeone else will finish bringing all of the cut rice together later tonight so that they are ready for the thresher tomorrow when it is free. As usual when the work first started Jai was enjoying the social side of being at the farm with a group of people but as time as progressed it has become more of a chore and now she will be glad to get the job done for another year.
I foresee problems in a few years time. Most of the people who work the farms arent getting any younger and with most of the 20s/30s year olds working in Bangkok who is going to cut the rice when these folk cant do it anymore ? There are a few combines around, but not in our village yet. Cost wise they work out about the same as cutting by hand but they dont cut quite as well. The local field are too small for the machines as well and will need remodelling if they are to become a common sight here. Changes are afoot I m sure ...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb