Off to the temple


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
October 16th 2013
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.3833, 103.933

Happy Birthday Dad.
Having spent yesterday hosing the garden to make it damp enough to dig it has rained all night and not stopped this morning. The garden is now flooded and too wet to dig !! Perhaps its just as well as I have a few aches and pains this morning from yesterday's brief effort.
Sister Begat arrives home but only stays about an hour then she is off back to her daughter's Oom and my quiet returns.
It rains heavily all day finally easing off about 16:00.
After we eat this evening we walk to the temple to help with stirring the toffee for khao phansa. There seems more pans this year with five big woks bubbling away and more people hanging around. With the days rain they have sited te fires beneath the old wooden sala and this means that the heat and the smoke cant escape making it feel like a furnace. It feels like I'm part of a Dante work and I keep expecting to see the little girl from next door complete with horns and a trident ordering people around !! After only a few minutes I am sweating and have red and tearful eyes ... and you are expected to stir each of the pans for a while for good luck. I stick it out for about an hour leaving Jai there to be collected about 23:00.
Dad would have been 95 years old today, he died in 1995, and with today being lottery here I thought that '95' might be an auspicious number. It turned out that '89' might have been a better choice !


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb