1st Month in Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 15th 2015
Published: January 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Poor Disco Volante has been abandoned in Malta for a few months. We decided to 'run for the sun' and take her out onto the hard standing in Malta while we head to warmer climates for a couple of months. We had a lovely two weeks in London/Bristol/Aberdare visiting family & friends before we jetted off.

Here's some picture highlights of the last month or so...

Next we are off to Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, then back to meet up with Alison & JD who are flying in from Australia.

Lots of Love, Sarah & Mike xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Disco Volantes temporary home in MaltaDisco Volantes temporary home in Malta
Disco Volantes temporary home in Malta

We thought Disco Volante needed a holiday from her holiday (a bit like us), so we craned her out in sunny Malta for a few months. When we get back in February we need to antifoul the hull and have a lengthy job list to do to get her in tip-top condition for our 3 month sail back to England. She hasn't been put of the water or had her antifouling re-done since she went in to Bristol harbour back in July 2013! Mike did a quick survery of her hull and bulkheads before we left and is happy to report she has coped with the long sail to the Med admirably. We left her with no sails/rigging, everything packed up inside and a tarpaulin over the top to keep her dry while we are away. During the 6 month sail we only had a few problems along the way... Leaky cockpit hatches (Still haven't solved this one, but fitted extra bilge pumps to help) Lost anchor (We now have a trip line on the anchor, though we lost the anchor due to loose shackle screw & Disco's tendancy to sail round her anchor) Hole in sail (where sail rubs against spreaders) - repaired and reinforced beautifly in Palma Water pump - Died, from overuse we think! Not many people live aboard like we do! Engine cutting out - due to diesel bug (Thanks EU) turned out to be an easy fix though!
Wintery LondonWintery London
Wintery London

We popped back to the UK on way to Thailand, so we could catch up with friends & family and also so that we could start to go through my Mum's things. Her house is on the market now, wil miss this garden!
Early ChristmasEarly Christmas
Early Christmas

Janet & Rod very kindly agreed to cook us an early crimbo dinner before we flew to thailand. Was lovely to have turkey & all the trimmings - not to mention loads of lovely gifts! We were spoilt!
Making a Frozen birthday cake for AmeliaMaking a Frozen birthday cake for Amelia
Making a Frozen birthday cake for Amelia

We managed to see so many kids while we were back including our goddaughter Elin & godson Joseph. Looking forward to spending time with them all when we are back next summer. Jolie roped me in to help make Amelia's 'Frozen' themed birthday cake - which included crushing and melting a bag of glacier mints to make shards of 'ice'. It was indeed like a scene out of 'Breaking Bad', but despite my total lack of artistic talent, I think we pulled off a nice looking cake!
Clubbing in LondonClubbing in London
Clubbing in London

Many many nights out over the course of our two weeks back in UK. Was so lovely to see everyone - hopefully catch you all on Disco Volante very soon! Special thanks to Phil/Emily, Anna/Tom & Beej/Hels for putting us up!
Thailand Day#1Thailand Day#1
Thailand Day#1

We treated ourselves to a nice hotel for the first night in Bangkok. Despite getting taken to the wrong hotel by the taxi driver at first = standard Thailand, we were more than thrilled with our room, including a free upgrade to Executive room on 24th floor.This is the view from our jacuzzi out over the river in Bangkok. We had lovely sundowners (Mai Thai's) in the roof bar that evening. We were soon back to reality though with a 300baht (6quid) room on Khoa San road the next night - it was nice while it lasted!
Khao San Road BangkokKhao San Road Bangkok
Khao San Road Bangkok

I am pleased to report that it's still super fun in Bangkok. So buzzy, so cheap... Mike was ill when we first arrived, so I had a day by myself, mainly consisting of beauty treatments - foot massage, full body massage, pedicure etc... 14 quid for everything!!!
Koh Chang - Siam HutsKoh Chang - Siam Huts
Koh Chang - Siam Huts

While we were waiting for Anna & Tom to arrive, we headed to Koh Chang for some beach time. (It's about the closest beach to Bangkok). We stumbled upon Sian Beach huts, which was amazing value @ 7quid a night including a pool, and twice weekly beach party. Met some really nice people while we were there and even hung out with the DJ after his set had finished.. This was also where I got my first injury of the holiday, falling down aforementioned DJs hut steps, gettinmg my leg caught between the wooden steps and getting a dinner plate sized black bruise on my inner thigh! (It took two weeks to go!) Didn't do much in Koh chang apart from acclimatise, eat amazing seafood, drink & sunbath..
Feeding the turtles @ temple in BangkokFeeding the turtles @ temple in Bangkok
Feeding the turtles @ temple in Bangkok

5 days later we were back in Bangkok waiting to get our train to Chang Mai for Christmas. We had a whole day in Bangkok before our night train, so we walked through the flower market to this temple and fed the turtles papaya.\ Bangkok street food is amazing and so cheap, you can live very cheaply in Bangkok!
Night train to Chiang MaiNight train to Chiang Mai
Night train to Chiang Mai

Waking up on the night train to Chiang Mai, lovely views of the jungle.
Night food market in Chiang MaiNight food market in Chiang Mai
Night food market in Chiang Mai

The food in Chinag Mai is amazing, Northern Thai food at it's best!
Christmas EveChristmas Eve
Christmas Eve

Spent watching Thai boxing, then off clubbing in the centre! It was very festive, honest..
Christmas dayChristmas day
Christmas day

A hungover Mike with suitably gay cocktail. It didn't go down well!
Pai with the MurleysPai with the Murleys
Pai with the Murleys

We lucked out on our rafting trip and got put up in a fab hotel with a lovely pool. Got chatting to a Thai guy who promotes clubnights in Bangkok and goes to Bristol regularly to scout DJs, small world.
3 days Rafting in Pai3 days Rafting in Pai
3 days Rafting in Pai

The boys were the 'engine' at the back of the raft!
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Mike doing his best Peter Andre impresssion, the other rafters were confused!
RaftingRafting
Rafting

Team Murley/Walker
Amazing Thai banquet in PaiAmazing Thai banquet in Pai
Amazing Thai banquet in Pai

3quid a head for an amazing feast!
NYE in Chiang MaiNYE in Chiang Mai
NYE in Chiang Mai

We had a fab night out in Chiang Mai for NYE, great fireworks


17th January 2015

Hi from Cabot
Just to let you know that I do look in on your blog - Cabot will seem very dull when you get back. lol. Good luck to you both
17th January 2015

Will be lovely to see you all though! And with boat finished we'll finally be able to help with work parties! We might be in the running for furthest miles sailed next year too!

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb