island hopping


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
December 19th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

at the Big Treeat the Big Treeat the Big Tree

...on Koh Phangan
So here we are in Singapore. We haven't blogged in Thailand because we've been enjoying the beaches and the sun too much!

We've had the most amazing time in Thailand staying in beach bungalows by the sea, lazing around in our hammocks, swimming in crystal blue waters, trekking and loads more! We love Thailand, the people are so friendly and the food has been delicious - Mikey has enjoyed the thai green curry and Kaz enjoys a good pad thai.

We've travelled from Bangkok to Koh Phangan, to Krabi to Koh Phi-Phi and Phuket and have used all sorts of transport to get around including rickety old ferries, big buses, small buses, trains, tuk-tuks, mopeds, taxis, elephants, longtail boats and our legs! Great fun!

Our beach bungalow on Koh Phangan was pretty cool, a place called "My Way" - don't think we could have got any closer to the beach and for 3 pounds each a night! We stayed there for a few days chilling on the beach, snorkelling and lazing in our hammocks (although we had a crazy swedish guy staying in the bungalow next to us - not sure he knew where he was or what day it was!)

In Krabi we went elephant trekking! It was a fantastic experience and we were the only two people to go that morning - so it was just us, our elephant "Big One" and his master. We trekked through the jungle as "Big One" cleared the path along the way with his huge trunk! He was a gentle giant. Kaz got the chance to ride on his neck where his master usually sits - wow! As we went up steep hills "Big One" would use his ears and wrap them around Kaz's legs so she wouldn't fall off. Mikey sat on the back looking like a king on his throne. Amazing. We visited Beautiful beaches here with huge cliffs as backdrops and lots of small islands. It was very scenic.

Koh Phi-Phi was a lovely little island (no cars or motorbikes allowed). It's made up of two islands phi-phi don and phi-phi ley (made famous when the movie "The Beach" was filmed there). We stayed in another bungalow on a hill-top resort overlooking Long Beach and phi-phi ley. What a view! Took a day trip to Maya Bay where "The Beach" was filmed which was stunning and also did some snorkelling. We visited Monkey Beach where the crazy monkeys jumped all over us and stole our bananas, before we had a chance to give them! The town is still recovering from the tsunami of 2004 and there is lots of building work going on - but Long Beach where we stayed was completely chilled and was the best beach so far (many more to come hopefully). It was picture postcard.

Our last port of call was Phuket as it had an airport to get us down to Singapore. Found a lovely guesthouse and just chilled chilled chilled for 3 days! We also enjoyed a very good thai massage on our last day.

We want to wish everybody back home a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! It really hasn't felt like christmas over here until we arrived in Singapore - but we will soon be in the christmas spirit when we arrive in Oz. We are spending Christmas and New Year in Sydney with Mikeys sister and family (see you soon Jackie and gang!)

Thanks a million for all your comments.

Kaz and Mikey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Thanks "Big One"!Thanks "Big One"!
Thanks "Big One"!

Woolly and Woof had fun too - can you spot them?
our backpacks arrivingour backpacks arriving
our backpacks arriving

phi-phi hill resort - Koh Phi-Phi
taking a diptaking a dip
taking a dip

Long Beach - Koh Phi-Phi
monkey madnessmonkey madness
monkey madness

Monkey Beach on Koh Phi-Phi Don


20th December 2007

Happy Christmas from Freezing London
Happy Christmas to u both love the photos looks A-mazing have a great time and say hi to JAckie and gang for us take care and safe journeys xx
21st December 2007

COOL
Looks like your having a fab time! good to see the bags been useful :) ...have woolly n woof got suntanned? LOL!
24th December 2007

Merry Christmas!
Hiya guys, sounds like your having a wonderful time!! Have a fantastic Christmas and cant wait for your next blog!! Take care, Jacqui xxx
28th December 2007

Monkey
The monkeys look soooo cute. I want one! Looks like u're having fun guys. Merry belated Christmas and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR. xxx
3rd January 2008

Travel Sick
Too jealous so were off again - Seville-Sydney? mmm

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb