Petchabun


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 26th 2007
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kosit Hills HotelKosit Hills HotelKosit Hills Hotel

Very comfortable and close to town. Lots of beautiful teak in the hotel foyer.
Petchabun is quite different! It is off the tourist trails and as a consequence very few of the local Thais speak English so communication is quite a bit of fun! Be patient (they are with us!) We decided to go to Petchabun because it was off the trails and I am always interested in the people as much as in the attractions. It also gave us a chance to view the rural Thailand as we bussed through. It seems that, although Bangkok has huge problems with traffic, Thailand had a very good road network. The condition if 'interstate' highways are of a very high standard (or at least the ones we travelled on were!)

Petchabun is about 300kms north of the capital and its principal 'claim to fame' is the tamarind. This is a bean-like fruit that is prepared in a wide variety of ways as a food item. It has a very interesting taste but be careful if eating it in its original form- you'll probably break a tooth on the seeds!

We stayed at the Kosit Hills Hotel a short distance down the road from the town centre. Very nice facilities and resturant for those who 'eat
Tamarind centreTamarind centreTamarind centre

The tamarind is so important to the region they have built a large promotional/education centre.
at home'. You can walk into town from here, but they have their version of the tuk tuk which is handy, and as always, cheap. Here there aren't the commercial ventures that encourage trade by providing tuk tuk drivers with petrol vouchers for bringing tourists, so you go where you want to go!

There aren't a lot of tourist venues in Petchabun but there's still things to see, not the least the ever-present Buddhist temples which, while all being 'the same' are always individually different. One of the interesting stories to do with a temple there is the 'floating Buddha' of Wat Trai Phum. It is said that the Buddha was found floating in the Pasak River and was saved and enshrined on the alter at the temple. However one day it disappeared and a few days later was seen again floating in the river. It was again recovered and it was decided that the event would be celebrated each year. This the town has done ever since with the image being paraded around the town and celebrations held. The Buddha has stayed.

There are other very picturesque temples, one, Wat Mahathat having an ancient stupa remains dating
Dammaraja BuddhaDammaraja BuddhaDammaraja Buddha

This is the Buddha image that was recovered from the Pasak River and is annually paraded around Petchabun City.
from the Sukothai period in its grounds.

A quiet stroll through the town turns up plenty of eating establishments (clearly lots of native Thai eat out!), interesting shops and stalls and the Tamarind Centre, an establishment that celebrates the tamarind fruit that is so important to the economy of the region. One little novelty we came across in a bck street was the "2000 Satang Shop". A satang is 100th of a bhat. A bhat is about 20cents, there for 200 satang is about $1. The Thai equivalent of the "$2 Shop". You will also find an Irish Bar!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Street MarketStreet Market
Street Market

You will always find market stalls somewhere in Thailand, and Petchabun is no exception.
2000 Satang Shop2000 Satang Shop
2000 Satang Shop

Quite a surprising wee novelty- 200 satang is about $1.
Over Head WiresOver Head Wires
Over Head Wires

One unsightly feature of Thai cities aree the overhead wires- LOTS OF THEM! Singha, the beer around here.
Tough Day On The FarmTough Day On The Farm
Tough Day On The Farm

It was a hot day so what better than a wee zizz in the shade. This was in the grounds of the temple so I wonder whether he had done his worship or was preparing for it!
Temple ArchitectureTemple Architecture
Temple Architecture

The beauty of Thai Buddhist temples is everywhere, and it is interesting to do a bit of study to find out all of the symbolism of the design elements.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb