Off to Chiang Rai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 10th 2019
Published: January 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Jan 10th,

We started out the morning talking and playing games with older members from a Thai community at an elderly school. A group of Muslim students from Southern Thailand were also visiting the same day. Apparently, most of those who practice Muslim in Thailand are from the southern part of the country. During our time at the elderly school, our Thai friends emphasized the importance of “waiing” to the elders to show respect. As cute as the old people were, I have to say I was more focused on how many different religions were all in one room… and the fact that Christianity was the minority. It was crazy to look around and see so many people bowing and praying to Buddha, and then look the other direction and see all the Muslin students with head coverings on. It’s so weird to think that every religion thinks they are right, but many of people in that room have it totally wrong. I feel confident that Christianity is the truth (or else I wouldn’t be a Christian), so it was very challenging to look around and think that all of those beautiful people are not going to heaven and are missing out on the joy that comes with knowing God.

After our stop of the elderly school, we headed out on a 4.5 hour drive that turned into an 8 hour adventure full of bathroom stops, hot springs, and a police escort. Why, you may ask? Because 7 hours into our adventure to Chiang Rai, we made a wrong turn and went an hour out of the way. Turns out we were only about 10 minutes away from the community we were heading to before we made the wrong turn. It’s never a good sign when you ask your driver “how far” and he responds, “I dunno—I’ve never been here before.” Nonetheless, we arrived in Chiang Saen around 8pm and were welcomed with dancing and lots of food. I was a little skeptical at first because of all the bugs and the fact that some of the leaders were praying for us in Buddha, but the amazing food and dancing got me excited to spend the next few days in the community. Also, we were pleasantly surprised when we walked down the road to one of the cutest houses to sleep in. The backyard was full of plants, a pond, and walkway that lead down to a river. Crazy enough, on the other side of the river was the country, Laos! It was absolutely beautiful and completely exceeded my expectations.

Fun facts: Squatty potties are more convenient than one would imagine. Road lines and seatbelts are simply suggestions. When in Thailand, you’re on Thai time. If you like dogs, walk down the street and you’ll be sure to run into about 20. Bottled water is the best water.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb