You know you've been in Asia too long when...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Sangkhlaburi
July 23rd 2010
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

10. You no longer smile at or play peek-a-book with babies on the street for fear they will burst into tears at the sight of your strange sunburnt foreign face.

9. You secretly love Korean pop music.

8. You are disappointed (or maybe relieved?) when there is not a jelly or jello balls of some sort in your beverage.

7. You are not embarrassed to use an umbrella to shade yourself from the sun.

6. You stare at other foreigners when you see them and occasionally whisper to your companions about their strange Western ways.

5. Your English has deteriorated, become very s l o w and includes a lot of hand gestures. Even when talking to native English speakers.

4. You occasionally can't think of a word in English.

3. Vegetables are for breakfast and red beans are for dessert and no meal is complete without white rice.

2. You'd rather use the squat toilet than wait in line for the Western one.

1. If you don't have a minimum of 4 near-death experiences in the taxi, you feel that you aren't really getting your money's worth.



Just some observations I've made recently 😊

I leave the tiny town of Huay Ma Lai tomorrow after 2 and a half weeks at Baan Dada Children's Home and I'm very sad to be leaving!! I can't wait to write about it as soon as I get my high-tech disposable camera pictures developed and have more internet time. In the meantime you can check out their website: www.baandada.org, and brainstorm ways to help me raise money for the technical school they are building next year. More of Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia are next, wish me luck!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb