A spot of culture before the beach!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Phetchaburi
May 7th 2006
Published: May 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Underground Cave TempleUnderground Cave TempleUnderground Cave Temple

See - it is pretty magical!
After the paradise that was Ko Chang we headed back to Bangkok before heading south to what maybe another shot of paradise in Ko Samui. We thought we'd break up those slices of paradise with a cultural stop at Phetchaburi - famous for it's magical cave temples.

But before that, they day we arrived at Phetchaburi we went for a walk round town, visiting a few of the Wats' in town. The best of the ones that we visited was probably Wat Kamphaeng Laeng which has a very nice central temple containing a massive gold Buddha at the front. The windows of this temple all had shutters which were all fantastically decorated with the various scenes and positions of Buddha - such as giving gifts, sleeping or meditating. The outside of the temple was really well decorated and around the main temple are a few other little ones to stroll around and have a peak inside. All of the other Wats' we visited that day were nice but this one was definitely the best.

Today, we started by going to Khao Luang - a magical cave temple where daylight squeezes in from holes in the ceiling, basking various Buddha
Buddha looking over his peopleBuddha looking over his peopleBuddha looking over his people

He's at the top right by the way. This Buddha is where one of the underground temples but we couldn't go up there as it's being restored...
images in sunlight. The main chamber of this cave is massive although the whole cave only took 10 minutes to walk around but it really was amazing. Khao Banda-It was next, another cave temple on the other side of town - this one was has smaller rooms but many more of them so it took a bit longer to walk around. This cave temple was still very very nice - but not as magical as Khao Luang. We finished the day of sightseeing by going to Phra Nakhon Khiri - a historical park containing King Mongkut's palace and a few Wat's dotted around. This park though is one massive and steep hill and the heat didn't make it any easier to walk around! The views once at the top of this hill though are fantastic and well worth the climb - as are some of the buildings that are dotted around!

That was today after all that sightseeing I feel like I need another few days on a tropical island!! Tonight we catch a sleeper train down south to Surat Thani and hopefully when we're there we'll be able to hop straight onto a boat to Ko Samui! That's
The Crystal Palace Eagle!!The Crystal Palace Eagle!!The Crystal Palace Eagle!!

Showing Thailand support Palace even if they didn't make the premiership!
the plan....!

Advertisement



8th May 2006

Crystal Palace
I don't know if you got my text, CP 0 Watford 3 Play-off, first leg. OOPS

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb