Whistling Colonel Bogey


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
February 23rd 2013
Published: February 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After the sober reflection of the war cemetery it was back to the car and a short drive to the Bridge over the River Kwai. The driver dropped us of and with the guide we made our way to the site of the bridge. The guide explained how the the Thai government allowed the japanese to build th railway as they felt indebted to them for helping get rid of the French before WW2. Not all Thais felt the same way and some acted as spies sending intelligence back to the Allies.

We walked the length of the bridge and it was only at the end that I remembered that I was going to whistle 'Colonel Bogey' as I marched along (See the film if you don't know why!)

I was reminded by a local man in a flat cap playing the violin (I kid you not!) He started with 'When the saints go marching in' followed by 'Waltzing mathilda' (many Anzac troops were amongst the prisoners) and then played Colonel Bogey. I accompanied him by whistling the tune as I marched back along the track, a very memorable experience (although I look nothing like Alec Guiness!)

Back
Temple StatueTemple StatueTemple Statue

On banks of River Kwai
to the car and next stop a train station! We were due to catch the local service from Tha Kilen which would take us along the death railway. When it arrived it was packed due to it being a local holiday so I spent the time inbetween carriages staring out the door at the local countryside.

The journey lasted 30 minutes and we arrived at our lunch destination - Tham Krasae Bridge. We had a buffet lunch overlooking the Kwai river Phad Thai and Fried rice.

This afternoon it's the Jungle parade!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

View from the Lunch tableView from the Lunch table
View from the Lunch table

Looking back at the Death Railway


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb