Bridge on the River Kwai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
June 17th 2010
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Khwae Yai RiverThe Khwae Yai RiverThe Khwae Yai River

The legendary River Kwai, as we call it. You can see the new bridge in the background

Kanchanaburi



In the interest of saving time and still seeing as much as possible close to Bangkok, we signed up with a mini tour (8 people) to take us to Kanchanaburi, made famous by the 1957 movie, "Bridge on the River Kwai".

I was not prepared for the beautifully maintained cemetery grounds, or the poignant words inscribed on the headstones. There, in simple eloquence, parents, wives, siblings, children and other relatives spoke last sentences to soldiers who lost their lives in unspeakable conditions, as slave laborers on the Death Railway. The Thais have enormous respect and appreciation for these soldiers, and it's obvious by how well they maintain all the displays. There are books written on this subject, so I won't go into any detail, but it's very interesting and very emotional.

The river was much more beautiful than I ever imagined, with its quaint little houses built on rafts. We walked across the bridge and at the end, there was a little old man with a violin. When we told him we were American, he started playing the theme song from the movie, Bridge on the River Kwai. It brought tears to my eyes!

Kanchanaburi was

The Infamous Burma-Siam BridgeThe Infamous Burma-Siam BridgeThe Infamous Burma-Siam Bridge

Part of the original wooden bridge.
so charming, clean, and one of the nicest, friendliest towns we visited. And fun to say. You should try it: Kan chan a bur EE. We wished we had all day to spend there.

But the tour people had other plans for us. There was the mandatory elephant ride through the jungle (and photo for a price). Then came the floating down the River Kwai on a bamboo raft to a place where we had a nice Thai lunch. We stopped at a waterfall that had more people than water, but was still nice. And for the grand finale, the Tiger Temple, which is actually a huge nature preserve for all types of animals, from piglets to peacocks, horses, monkeys, goats and so on.

The next day, we took another mini van to Ratchaburi, where we went to see the oldest floating market, the Damnoen Saduak. It was still pretty touristy, but you could get a sense from the amazing array of fruits, vegetables and spices that it was not just for tourists like the markets immediately around Bangkok.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Steel Bridge of the presentSteel Bridge of the present
Steel Bridge of the present

Rebuilt by the Japanese as part of the war reparations
A walk I'd only dreamed ofA walk I'd only dreamed of
A walk I'd only dreamed of

Very emotional, very beautiful, exceeded all my expectations
War MemorialWar Memorial
War Memorial

In memory of thousands who lost their lives building the railroad between 1942-43
Chong Kai CemeteryChong Kai Cemetery
Chong Kai Cemetery

A place of pilgrimage for WWII veterans worldwide. About 7000 Allied soldiers here.
Wat Chai ChumphonWat Chai Chumphon
Wat Chai Chumphon

The JEATH war memorial is housed here, depicting the life and death of 12,000 Allied POWs.
Train at the museumTrain at the museum
Train at the museum

One of the trains used during WWII
Adorable Thai boyAdorable Thai boy
Adorable Thai boy

His mom was in charge of the elephant rides.
Surfin' the River KwaiSurfin' the River Kwai
Surfin' the River Kwai

This part was NOT in my dream, but fun and relaxing, anyway
Out of my comfort zoneOut of my comfort zone
Out of my comfort zone

And I'm allergic to cats!
Dane the BRAVEDane the BRAVE
Dane the BRAVE

Yes, the big cat is chained, but he's still a tiger!
The Tiger TempleThe Tiger Temple
The Tiger Temple

Nirvana for Tigers, all the tourists they can eat.
The water buffalo are coming!The water buffalo are coming!
The water buffalo are coming!

Too late, I realized I was standing between them and their evening meal.
Taking coverTaking cover
Taking cover

I figured it might be a good idea to stand behind a tree as quickly as possible.
Flame TreeFlame Tree
Flame Tree

These lovely trees just happened to be in bloom this time of year.
Coolie hat ladyCoolie hat lady
Coolie hat lady

Don't make eye contact...too late! Now must buy hat.
We needed the hat!We needed the hat!
We needed the hat!

Now isn't that just so much better? And goes so well with the shirt from Kanchanaburi.
The Famous Old Floating MarketThe Famous Old Floating Market
The Famous Old Floating Market

She is dishing up lunch for us as I take the photo.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb