Infections, falls and tigers


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
November 7th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, I made it to Thailand, and so far it has not been kind to me. I know, I know, it's not Thailands fault I have pussy ears. But I am still blaming it.

I did catch up with my tour group, very easily, in fact. Flew in to Bangkok and moseyed my way to the airporter bus like I had done it a thousand times before. I was pretty worried about this part, as I had heard so many stories. But no problems at all. I would like to take this moment to telly you a little bit about BKK airport. I didn't get any look last time, when it was a mad dash from one end of the airport to the other and then back again, but it is a gorgeous airport. Brand new, it only opened just over a month ago. Beautiful artwork and displays all throughout, and so modern, it looks like a building from a sci-fi movie.

So an hour drive through the city of Bangkok, which I was not at all impressied with. I am biased though. Everyone who knows me knows how much I hate cities. Found my hotel with no problems
Kampung AIrKampung AIrKampung AIr

Just off the coast of KK
at all (again, almost like I had done it a thousand times before), and as luck would have it my tour group was just convening in the lobby for their forward travels. Also as luck would have it, I didn't even miss anything that first day, as they had to change their plans due to one thing or another. So, I am with my tour group, and haven't missed a darn thing! (I guess in this aspect THailand was good to me).

It's on the bus to the city of Kanchanaburi. My ears are still sore, but not leaking anymore, so I think it's a good sign. But I am feeling incredibly nauseous the whole trip. Arrive in the city (another city!) and take a somlar ride to our hotel. A somlar is a little seat big enough for one person, being pulled by a person on a bike. *MY* somlar had two ppl, and four huge bags on it. The poor bastard pulling us! Let's just say we were very cozy, and very heavy.

To the guesthouse to check in and then off on a tour of the city in our somlars. We went to the war
Kampung AIrKampung AIrKampung AIr

Just off the coast of KK
cemetary, and then to the Bridge on the River Kwai. It was actually all quite interesting. Walking through the cemetary was a little sad though, as there were hundreds of graves, and all of them just kids, mostly under 25. They say that 100,000 civillians and 60,000 Japanese POW's died while building the railroad from Siam to Burma.

Got to the bridge just at sunset, and was it ever pretty. And freaking busy. So many tourists there, all elbowing their way to and fro. But I did manage to get some nice pictures.

Back to the hotel for dinner with the group. There are 12 of us, 10 women and 2 men from Englad, Austrailia, USA, Scotland, Switzerland, and then me, the lone Canadian. Odd, I have't met one other Canadian so far on this trip! Had an amazing dinner (I freakin' LOVE Thai food!) then off to a cool little rasta bar for drinks. Had a really good night, actually, getting to know everyone.

I went back to the hotel early, as my ears were sort of bothering me. Took a couple of tylenol, then crashed, sound asleep until 2am when I was awoken by someone
Boat driverBoat driverBoat driver

To add more fuel he would switch one big bucket of gas to the other, all with a lit cigarette in his mouth.
sticking a hot poker in my ear and up my head. No, wait. That's just my pussy ears. Remember when I said I thought it was a good sign they had stopped draining?? Man, did I think wrong! My ear had plugged up, so now all the pus is pooling in my neck and face and ear canal, and it hurt's like a son-of-a-bitch. And because it needs to drain somewhere, it's draining right down my throat, which makes me vomit. All night vomitting up the pus I am drinking. Is everyone thoroughly disgusted? Deal with it. I had to live through the shit. And it was disgusting.

So this morning I talked to the tour guide about seeing a doctor or going to the hospital. I guess in Thailand there is no such thing as a GP, because we had to wait for the ENT specialist to open his office at 5pm before I could see him. Well shit.

So I down a couple of T3's and toodle off with the group to the JEATH war museam. JEATH stands for Japan, England, Australia, Thailand, and Holland. These were the countries most affected by the war and the bilding of the railroad. One side of the museum had pictures of propaganda put out by the Japanese, stating how good their prisoners were treated. The other side had pictures of the atrocities that really did happen. Very disturbing.

From there we took a songtheaw (basically a pick up truck with two rows of seats in the back) to the Erawan Falls National Park. It was really quite pretty, with seven waterfalls in one area. It was possible to climb up to all seven, however with my ears acting up the way they were I only made it to the fourth fall. I also didn't get to do any swimming either, which really sucked. I love the water, and it looked so beautiful!

Back in the songtheaw for our next destination. I would like to point out that the traffick here is out of control, and I am surprised I am still alive. I couldn't help keep thinking that if we were in an accident in the songthew we would be just a big pile of limbs and torsos, and none of them would be moving.

The next destination was the Tiger Temple, a home for abandoned
Seat built for two?Seat built for two?Seat built for two?

Honestly, the seat was really only big for just one of us. Not two and all our luggage!
or ill tigers, where they are rehabilitated then put back to the wild. Some were born there in captivity, and these we were allowed to 'pet' while getting our photo taken. I was scared shitless the whole time. I mean, these tigers are huge! And they have huge teeth! And Sigread and Roy kept passing through my head over and over. All in all a pretty cool thing though. I petted a tiger!

By this time the whole left side of my face is swollen and hard and painful like you wouldn't believe. Time to get me to the doctor. This doctor experience was not nearly as pleasent and nice as the last one. First of all, the doctor couldn't understand why if I was already on antibiotics it wasn't getting better. His english isn't the best, keep in mind. Finally he looked in my ear, and withdrew awfully quick with a "whoa" sound. I felt like telling him 'I told you so'. Soooo....Thai doctor decides to suction out the puss. He reaches for the oldest dirtiest tupperware container I have ever seen, and chooses a metal tube from the plethora of dirty metal tubes in there. Attaches the metal tube to a dirty, used plastic one, and turns on a machine straight from the 70's. At this point he jabs the \whole contraption in my ear and in a very liposuction manner starts sucking out my puss. Tears are streaming down my face, but he either doesn't notice or doesn't care. A change in antibiotics and an anty inflammatory later, and I am out on the street trying to stop myself from bawling like a baby.

Sam the tour guide was very good through this all, btw. Getting me to and from the clinic, translating, helping as best as he could. But at that time all I wanted was to go to my room by myself and cry. Actually, all I really wanted was to be in Canada with a clean hospital and my mommy.

At the moment it is feeling quite fine, so the pus sucking must have been some improvement.

Thoughts on Thailand so far? I see more white ppl than I do Thai ppl. Thailand is really not very English friendly. I am surprised by that. Generally I am somewhat unimpressed by the country so far. Keeping in mind that I have been sick and tired and stressed the whole time I have been here. Perhaps it will get better.

Travelling with the group? It's nice to always have someone to talk with when you want to. Though, I do find it hard to make it about the thai ppl, when I am always with someone I know. Also, I miss the excitement/worry of buying my own tickets, or finding a hotel room. It's too easy when someone is doing it all for you. The group is great though, and I think I will make a good friend or two from it.

Everyone's comments are great. They really cheered me up tonight when I needed it the most. That and an expensive call home to mommy. Cynthia! It was great to hear from you! And Jeannie, I think of Keira so much here, whenever I see a freaking cute little outfit that would look sooooo good on her. I have no idea what size to get though!

Love you all so much,

Cathy






Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Tiger TempleTiger Temple
Tiger Temple

It was a little sad, that all the tigers were chained up to 4 foot heavy chains while being put on show.
Tiger templeTiger temple
Tiger temple

It didn't stop me from being terrified though!
Kampung AirKampung Air
Kampung Air

I don't know if you can tell, but these three kids are actually floating on a huge piece of styrofoam


7th November 2006

Hang In There
Cathy, I'm thoughly enjoying reading your blurbs throughout your trip. I can't believe what you are going through with your ear! And the Thai doctor report?? With the nasty instruments?? I don't know how you are still sane...or wait...maybe you weren't to begin with... Keep your fingers crossed that your ear is on the mend, and then you'll be able to enjoy things more. You are a trooper though, I must say!!! Cynthia
8th November 2006

hey cath, how the heck are ya? doing great by the looks of the pictures your mom showed me. i'm soooooo jealous!!!! just a short note to say hi and hope all is well with you (outside your pussy ear of course!!!!) enjoy the rest of your trip and think of all of us hard working saps. take care and talk to ya soon!!! shelley
8th November 2006

Mmmmmm..........pus.
Chappy, I am very impressed with your ability for description. I feel like I am right there with you sometimes. I must say though I am very worried about your ear infection. I hope your new antibiotics will work soon. At least your in Thailand. I hear that Dr.s there prescribe antibiotics for erectile disfunction and depression so at least there will be no shortage of medicine for you. Please cheer up and try to enjoy the rest of your time there as much as you can because I really like reading your entries and getting mail makes me feel popular. Jane
8th November 2006

cheer up sista
I am so sorry to hear about all this hoop-law crap with your stupid freakin ear! If it makes you feel better i got tears in my eyes for you. I love you a ton and things will get better. just keep that smile on your face cause it's contagious(sp) then all those around you will smile and you will smile with them Love you and miss you a whole f*ck of a lot Laura
8th November 2006

Your Mommy....
I just want everyone to know that the expensive phone call home to Mommy last evening was actually 5:00am for me!! And that an hour before I HAD to wake up! Anyway Mommy was here to give long distance HUGS and love and advise! I could just hear the pain in your voice but you did very well holding it together! I am proud of you! I spoke with Dr. McIver here at work today - I picked him because I know he has done tons of diving - he said that just from what I told him that it was most likely an otitis externa (which I guess is not as bad as otitis media) He says with the topical ear drops now prescribed, you should start seeing results very quickly, and he says not to worry about the infection spreading to the brain - as it is very uncommon in adults for that to happen!! (he also advises against diving for a little while HAHA as if you had to be told that!) Hey just be glad you didn't end up like Nancy S. from work - she was flown home early from Haiti due to Dengue Fever from mosquito bites and she is still in the hospital here - some sick to. Keep smiling!! you are so beautiful when you smile and I love you so much. I think of you ALL the time on your trip. I love your pictures and am having such a wonderful time travelling with you! Love Mom
8th November 2006

I forgot....
Your description of the tourists at the Bridge on the River Kwai reminded me of how we felt when we went to Buchart Gardens in Victoria - so many people!!!!!!
8th November 2006

Hey Cathy, it's hayley from cranbrook. how are ya. ive been reading your blogs but im a couple days behind. i'll catch up tomorrow. just in case you are ever grumpy or in a wee bit-o-foul-mood at anything at all incliding your ears (sounds awful by the way) just think that hayley sits on the third floor of the east kootenay reginal hospital and reads my blogs on my fabulous trip to thailand and every once in a while (read in every bloddy frickin minute) a bell rings because someone has shit their pants..... AGAIN. and hayley gets to go clean it up. and you are in the jungle with tigers and sun and unimaginable beauty..... and hayley is more than likely clearing up shit..... AGAIN. and lucky bastard that she is, she gets to come back tomorrow night to do the same thing. yep quite the life here. im insanely proud of you for you excursion and hope you get all that you can out of the trip. enjoy the sun. im going for a fake-n-bake tan tomorrow. it's almost the same as lying in the borneo sun you know. anyway. i love reading your entries. i'll catch up tomorrow afternoon after i wake up from doing this glorious night shift. later hayley
8th November 2006

hey there cathy. i've awoke after night shift and sat down and updated myself on your trip so far. it does sound amazing (and amazingly gross i'll have to admit). you sound a little homesick but probably because of the mounds of crap coming out of your ears. so i just wanted to tell you that even if you miss your family and friends back in canada, you should remember that everyone thinks you are on the most amazing trip of a lifetime and wish you all the best. soak it all up, everyone thinks the world of you for your brave adventures. take care. enjoy hayley

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb