Monkey Town


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Hua Hin
February 12th 2006
Published: February 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we caught the train to a little town on the coast on the Gulf of Thailand called Prachuap Khiri Kan. It is a lovely quiet town and the room we are in is pretty sweet (we have cable), though we have a fan rather than aircon as it isa little pricey. Its a brand new hostel though and is super clean. This morning we climbed a hill at the end of the bay to see the magnificent views back across the countryside and out to sea across the islands. Climbing up was pretty hard work (well for me, the locals say its 38 degrees and it feels hotter) but very much worth it. Really beautiful. And to think some dodgy touts in Bangkok tried to put us off this place (ok that is cos they couldnt sell package tours, but still). The exciting thing about the mountain though is the legend that said it was inhabited by monkeys who caught a bus down from Bangkok to look for some mangoes. Well we weren't disappointed - they were everywhere. Fat ones, little baby ones suckling their mummies, lazy sleeping ones, crazy running ones, and a scary one that hissed at me and bared his teeth when I wouldnt share my green fanta 😞 At the base of the mountain there is even a monkey statue and a pool which they were all swimming in and jumping on each other in - it was hilarious!!!!

This afternoon we are just relaxing - walking around this little town and maybe going for icecream soon 😊

Tomorrow we are off to Surat Thani - a stopping off point for the ferry out to Koh Samui and Koh Pha-Ngan. Looking forward to doing some swimming and exploring some of the jungle and waterfalls on the islands before heading back to Bangkok to pick up our passports (hopefully with visas) and then we're off up north (though somewhere in there we shall detour to see the Tigers!).

We have been trying to be good and practising our Thai - corb has been pronounced "Number 1" by a lady in Bangkok. Last night we had our first taste of trying to get dinner without any thai or without the wait people having any english - we got the help of a guy at the table next to us and feasted on a delicious bowl of Tom Yam!

Now our time is up for today, will try write again soon, maybe even get Corb to write something!!! and upload monkey pics 😊

kel!

Advertisement



12th February 2006

Hey Corb and Kel, Your adventure sounds very exciting! Glad you saw lotsa monkeys! Write heaps as it brightens up my day at work!
15th February 2006

...
monkeys!!!! er, that's all for now

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb