The Island


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
March 18th 2014
Published: March 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Disappointed in the previous night, the boys woke up at 7:30AM to go explore the early morning of Bangkok. I think we were the first people NOT to wake up hungover in "The Hangover Suite". Irony at its finest. After chowing down, we hit the early streets of Bangkok and man, the place is so different from Bali, cars everywhere, shops bustling, and the smell of city was abundant.

Since we only had about 5 hours before our flight to Ko Samui, we decided to maximize our time by taking the quickest mode of transportation. We took a boat. Not just any boat. (see picture) This boat was the Forrest Gump REJECT boat. Poorly constructed motor, loud and obnoxious, this looks like the gutted muscle car that everyone hates in the neighborhood.

Paying only 33 dollars total for 3 guys to sit in the boat, we climbed aboard. The river...was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. Garbage was floating everywhere and people ACTUALLY live on top of this rivers in these domains. (see pictures) I kept my mouth closed the whole time as the water splashed us consistently. These living conditions were almost as bad as Bali, but to see it in a developed city only made it that much more unbelievable.

We said goodbye to the suite and headed to the airport where my biggest fear came true. (see pictures)

The plane I was taking to Ko Samui was a simple propeller plane and I have a constant fear about propellers. *sigh
It felt like the munchkins got together and built this plane while chanting "Kumbaya".

Takeoff was the worst, it felt like a dog chasing its own tail, then jumping up and down, and then running off to chase NOTHING in the air. That's what it felt like.

After flying for about 1 hour, we reach Ko Samui and it is definitely better than Bali and Bangkok. The whole island is made up of many resorts. The beaches are in total seclusion, plenty of palm trees and bright Ko Samui sunlight. I wandered into some part of the beach that was very secluded and was waiting for Tom Hanks to pop out and yell, "WILSON!!"

We are staying in a beach resort called Amari which is located on the busiest street of Ko Samui and man does this town never sleep. Bars upon bars, clubs upon clubs and "other" venues here. Basically this city doesn't look like it sleeps, majority of the people walking the streets are from Australia and or Europe, there are 24/7 hour massage parlors for 3 DOLLARS PER HOUR. I can't even get an In N Out combo meal for 3 dollars.

Oh my god, I suddenly am craving In N Out. *expletive

I'll definitely post more nightlife pics in the next as we only walked around for an hour. I'll update in about 12 hours again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb