We Are Having an Affair - and its a Polygamous One. Reflections.


Advertisement
Published: March 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We are soon to be leaving our beautiful tropical island in Thailand, and although our nearly two month stay this year has exceeded every other year we have been returning since 2017, we are still very reluctant to leave, and have already decided to stay even longer next year. But another island country, Indonesia, now calls us. It is another country that we also love, for all that it offers of its beauty, its spirit, and its rich cultural diversity. Then, in May, we shall be returning to the Canadian prairies - to experience the endless sunshine, the wide open spaces, and the immense diversity and beauty of our homeland. We live in relationship with all three countries - their people, their landscapes, their diversity - and like a transient lover, we never want to leave, but have to move on to the other that waits with open arms.

I have always maintained that it is much better to be sad when leaving - whether it be a place of work, or a place you have lived or travelled to- than to be happy to leave, for the sadness tells a story of having experienced special times there. In our case, that sadness fuels a longing to return which has driven us now for over a decade (Covid years exempt) to keep coming back to our loves.



We are sometimes asked why we do not simply move to Thailand or Indonesia and become ex-pats, as many do. The best answer for this again is to use the metaphor of the lover. We leave when we are deeply in love, and move on the the next amorous relationship, leaving again when completely enamoured, to return to our homeland when it is at its most beautiful - in the springtime, when all is vibrant with life. There we enjoy the fecundity and incredible beauty of Canada, often travelling during our time there from the prairies to the Pacific Northwest coast, across the prairies, through the foothills and the Canadian Rockies, to visit family. Along with its cultural and topographical diversity, Canada also offers us seasons, all of which are uniquely spectacular, along with the never taken for granted offerings of community, family, and friends. She is our longest, most enduring lover, and one to which we shall always return.

The only constant in life is change, and love. We are so fortunate, and so grateful, to be able to experience all of these changes, and these loves, and will continue to honour these polygamous relationships as long as the universe allows us to do so.

Advertisement



10th March 2023

We are having an affair-
Thank you for sharing these insights , Bev. I totally understand the love affair with those three countries, and couldn’t agree with you more.. You articulated it so well. We are all so blessed.
11th March 2023

Thanks for the update. We leave for Nepal in a week.
17th March 2023

Reflections
Thanks for keeping the tradition of your travel blog. It's such a great way for me to know what's happening for you. And to experience the world through your eyes. Hugs, Susan
23rd March 2023

Reflections
Thank you for traveling with us Susan, and posting your comments, which are always appreciated. 🙏

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb