A slice of Paradise!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand
February 11th 2014
Published: February 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Andaman Bungalows on the island of Ko Sukron turned out to be an absolute delight. The owner greeted us as we arrived and took us straight to our bungalow, it was so nice, a spacious room with a wrap around balcony with views of the beach just a few metres away.

The staff here are so friendly and helpful, it seems like their whole mission in life is to serve their guests, such a pleasant change from the last island. It’s good to know that some of the old Thailand still exists



We spent our first full day here exploring the island on a small bike. The islands main industry is rubber. The plantations are extensive and every now and again we came across large sheets of rubber hanging out to dry in the sun, as we drove through the villages we saw small ‘factories’ where the rubber was processed and put through mangles to make the sheets of latex. The whole island is very rural with goats and cattle roaming around freely across narrow roadways. The people haven’t been soured by tourism and all waved to us as we passed by. In one village we came across a wedding and were told ‘dinner’ and beckoned to come in. We didn't want to gatecrash so smiled and went on our way.



On our second day we took a 4 island snorkel trip which turned out to be amazing, first we were dropped off at a rock way out to sea where we snorkelled through narrow gaps and saw many varieties of colourful fish and huge shoals so dense you couldn’t see beyond them. From there we sailed to the small island of Lao Lang. The beach was picture postcard beautiful with just a few corrugated huts that the fishermen use on occasions.



The next stop was the second island of Lao Liang, we sat on the beach and ate our picnic lunch of fried rice before testing out the coral reef off shore. It was absolutely wonderful many kinds of soft and hard coral and lots of fish, all a few metres from the shore. I can honestly say it’s the best coral we’ve ever seen in Thailand. It turned out to be a great trip and we came away with yet more new friends, Anika and Jon a Swedish couple on the same boat trip.





We now intend to spend some time here re-charging our batteries, as they say, and figure out where to go next.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



11th February 2014

Photos
Ha ha, you should look at phots "Lia Liang" and "6717" - they look like they match up perfectly to make a sand spit!
12th February 2014

wow
That looks totally awesome. Definitely our kind of island. Where is the jumping off point from the mainland for Koh Sukron? How much were the bungalows?
13th February 2014

you need to see an agent in Trang to get there. Bungalows were 800B with fan and breakfast!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb