Wonders and Wackiness - Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand
November 19th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Hellooooooooo again everyone,

Well, to be honest, Thailand has felt like a break from travelling really as we have done very little in the way of cultural activities and true sightseeing as we have mainly been touring Phuket and Koh Phi Phi - Thailand's biggest Western Islands. We have managed to get some gorgeous pictures, but dont feel too jealous, as in our 9 days on the Thai islands, the sun only came out twice....!! It definitely did not dent our enjoyment though, as there was plenty to occupy us with 5 star hotel rooms for less than 20 pounds, elephants, boat trips and Thai massages....

To start with, we thought we would hate Bangkok. We had heard so many negative stories from other travellers about the city, that we were sure it would remind us of all the not-so-lovely Central American capitals. However, we were pleasantly suprised, as we had a cute little hotel out of the hustle and bustle and were able to take short tuk-tuk rides into the craziness if and when we desired to! The 'highlight' of our first night in Thailand is literally still with us now (10 days later), as I think the Thai massages we received left permanent scars - oh, the pain.... Still we were loosened up and ready for our adventure to the south and to Phuket.

Again, Phuket has gained a bit of a bad reputation for being over-developed and over-touristy. Again, we were pleasantly suprised -(despite some rather dodgy hotel entertainment). We had opted to stay at a less popular beach called Kata beach so that probably helped, and we also had managed 'champagne' accomodation despite our 'lemonade' pockets by a special online discout website! Another sweetener was our incredible day of elephant trekking. When we first started planning our trip, I distinctly remember telling Albert that my number 1 activity that I did not want to come home without doing was, elephant riding. And it was amazing. Up there with the sky jump for me - I even got to sit on the elphant's head, while Berti chilled at the back. We got to feed a baby elephant and it was just a beautiful experience.

We were happy to leave Phuket after 4 days, and venture to Koh Phi Phi - where the film 'The Beach' was set. It was even more beautiful in the flesh, and depsite being overrun with 18 year old English kids on gap years, there was plenty of paradise to go round! Our boat trip round the main island Phi Phi Don and little sister island Phi Phi Leh were incredible, and we also got up early one morning to go kayaking to monkey beach! We only had two nights on Phi Phi and, if the sun had been out, there would have been no way we would have moved!! However, the skies were cloudy and so we kept our flights and flew back to Bangkok to catch our penultimate flight to Vietnam! One night tonight in Bangkok and so we took at trip on the sky-train went off to the movies to see the new James Bond film. However, Thai-style movies are slightly different and we sat in a massive movie-theatre (tickets cost less than 2 pounds)eating noodle-flavoured popcorn and we had to stand before the film started while the National Anthem was played! Also, going to see the Grand Palace tomorrow before we board the plane.

Off to Vietnam for two and a half weeks and then a week in Cambodia before home- looking forward to some
the the the

30 pounds a night.... including breakfast...
more cultural activities and touring!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US!!!!
Tons of love - missing you all like absolute crazy now!!!

A and A xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

2 for 1 cocktails... 2 dollars each...2 for 1 cocktails... 2 dollars each...
2 for 1 cocktails... 2 dollars each...

We dont miss the Thavorn too much...


25th November 2008

Ahhhhh Baby Elephants !!!
I am totally impressed at how you have continued to have such a great, exciting, action packed and romantic trip !!!!! Like you said Amy, a shame Leonardo was not doing a bit of skinny dipping at the beach (Joke Albert ??!!) We did the elephant ride in Cambodia, but unlike you Amy I was not able to sit on the elephant's head or feed a baby !!!! (but I am getting used to being out-done by you two now !!!) Not saying anything about the outfit yet, but it is lovely and very different for me ??? Luke is continually telling complete strangers that he is going to be the Ring Bearer in New York, most people just smile sympathetically and ignore him (I think they think he is a nutter, poor sod) I quickly jump in and explain and EVERYONE is then very envious our invite !!! Keep having fun and staying safe !!!!! Big Kisses xxx
25th November 2008

Nellie
I would love to ride on a Nellie the Ellie! xx
28th November 2008

Wow! Thailand looks and sounds amazing. The elephant riding seems like a great time. The beach is gorgeous - love the sexy beach video of you Amy :). Albert - a much better dive this time!! haha. Counting down the days. Love you and miss you both!!
7th December 2008

pronounciation
so how do you pronounse "phuket"? Is that "ph" like an "f" in phuket ?- just asking. Seriously, your adventure has been awesome. How will you ever be able to "settle" for a 9 - 5 job? Love you and miss you guys.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb