Railay Viewpoint and Lagoon


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
January 18th 2013
Published: January 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So yesterday I told you we were heading to the view point and lagoon.. and we did! :D

We had been warned that it is advisable to wear hiking shoes but Sean decided to ignore this advice and so I followed suit... as we couldnt face walking around in the boiling heat with our massive shoes on.

We got to the edge of the trail up to the view point and I instantly realised this was a big mistake! It was basically an extremely steep slope covered in tree roots and jagged rock with two ropes to help you up! I said we should turn back and just get our shoes but Sean insisted it would be fine and we could do it in flip flops.

The climb to the viewpoint took about 5 minutes and wasnt too bad and the view was quite nice but nothing too special as we have seen much better views than that so we only stood there for a few minutes and decided we should try and find the lagoon. We ended up walking around really dense jungle for about 10minutes going around in circles as there was no sign posts to where the lagoon was.. in the end I asked a few people coming from the view point and they said they knew the way so we followed them.

The lagoon was a lot lower down than the view point and to get there you had to climb down SUCH steep rock about 3 times. At first it wasnt too hard but it got harder and harder and the final wall you had to climb down was just a vertical drop with a rope and you had to climb over the top and inbetween a thin crack to get over to where the rope was! Doing this in bare foot was a BAD idea. I ended up cutting my little toe open which hurt soo much but it was so much fun and definitely worth it!! The lagoon was really pretty and I was desperate to jump in but the bottom was just thick sludgy clay and Sean tried to walk through it but he almost sunk because his flip flops got stuck in the mud haha.

We stayed down there for about 10minutes because my toe was hurting so much I just wanted to get up and sort it out, but before we could do that, we had to make the trecherous climb back up. It was much more fun climbing back up and seemed to be a lot quicker aswell, but the first climb was pretty tough! We turned around to look back at the lagoon and noticed a girl climbing a different route which was SO much easier!! Instead of having to climb right over the wall you just had to climb up a bit and then go through a little hole in the side! So we definitely took the hard route, but it made it feel even more of an achievement!

After we had climbed back out we went back and had some lunch and cleaned up my foot and headed to Phra Nang Cave beach which is between the West and East beaches. This beach is niver than both of the others! Sean loved it as there was a lot of bouldering he could do (climbing on low rock without a rope) and there was caves and shallow water so it was really fun 😊 There was alos a lot of monkeys there though, and some nut case middle aged woman was standing up to the monkeys and baring her teeth and growling at them and two ran at her with their shocked faces but she just stood there and then left her alone! So the secret of not getting attacked by monkeys must be to just stand your ground and not run away... still dont think I could do that though, as soon as they open their mouths Im off into the sea!!! hahaha!

We attempted to have a night out... AGAIN but ended up just having a few drinks on the beach before I started to feel so ridiculously full up and uncomfortable so we just went home. Oh and earlier on in the evening before we had a shower for dinner, we were walking back in the dark and heard some rustling near the edge of the path and looked down and saw a MASSIVE snake slithering away! It was a bit scary and I was paranoid for the rest of the night that we were going to step on another one!

Today I am going to attempt to have a go at climbing with Sean and a guy he met yesterday... feeling a bit nervous but will be good to see how high I can get! Feel like you have to do it when your in one of the best spots in the world for it!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb