Railay - Sun, Sea and Rock Climbing


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
January 16th 2013
Published: January 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So the day after we were ill we had a nice relaxing day on the beach and then had a few drinks that evening while watching the most beautiful sunset we have both ever seen! The whole sky was a firey red reflecting of the sea, it looked so amazing. I tried to get some pictures but they just really dont do it justice.

The following morning, we checked out of the 'seabeer hostel' and lugged our bags down to the sea front to catch a long boat to Railay beach. That Is the beach on the opposite side of Tonsai where we were before Ao Nang. We had to wait for 8 people to get the boat before we could leave but they ended up waiting for 20 and piled 10 in two boats when we were all there. The journey took about 15 minutes and cost 100baht per person which is 2pounds, so nothing really.

We arrived at Railay to another gorgeous beach surrounded by cliffs and rocks which Seans eyes lit up to when he saw. Walked to the opposite side of the beach through the jungle seeing monkeys and spiders as everbody told us that the East of railay is a lot cheaper. This is beacsue the sea this side is unswimmable, due to mangrove forests in the water.. at least I think thats what its called.. it could be mango, but whatever it is, its just loads of trees growing out of the sea.

Found a wooden bungalow for 700baht a night which wasnt too bad, but when we saw where it was my heart dropped. She led us up the steepest, gravelly path, to the highest point we could have been at and took us to the most rubish bungalow Ive seen so far. However after trecking so far to just get to the resort, and then treecking up the massive hill to the bungalow, we had no strength to go back down and look for another one, so took it begrudgingly!

We then headed to the beach and baked ourselves in the sun until the evening :D We managed to find a little bar inbetween East and West beach called Utopia that serves suck delicious Indian food and plays a different film at 7pm everyday so we went there and watched a film.. well tried to, it was some gansgsta thing and I coulddnt really follow what was happening in it so we gave up and headed to West Railay to go to some bars. Ended up just chilling on the beach for an hour or so and then went back on the dark road to our bungalow as we were both really tired. Had a horrible nights sleep in the little wooden shack because it sounded like creatures were trying to scratch their way in through the holes between the floor boards and it was all just a bit creepy.

I got up early the next morning and headed out to see if we could move to a different resort down the road as it looked sooo much nicer and the bungalows were 50baht less a night. Luckily they had a room as a couple had checked out early so I was really lucky to get that! Put down a deposit and headed back to grab our bags and move into that one. Another reason I hated the previous place we were staying was because a couple of Thai men kept fighting their cockrels 😞 They must have done it at least 4 times a day and that morning when I walked past, one of the men was holding one of the birds in some rope and swinging it past the other bird so it could scratch its head 😞 it was so horrible!

Anyway, we moved into our new bungalow and it was 10x nicer than the other one which was a relief! Yesterday Sean did a half day climbing course so he was gone for half the day. I watched for a bit and got some videos and pictures and just wandered around Railay for a couple of hours. Then last night we went back to Utopia, planned on having another night out, but ended up feeling too tired AGAIN! I swear were getting old!!

Today we are going to treck up to a viewpoint and hidden lagoon and then tonight we are going to miss the film as I think thats whats making us feel so tired and hopefully have a night out!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb