Last day at Railay


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
June 5th 2009
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

5 June (Friday) - The weather wasbetter today so I headed to Pranang Beach to get some better pictures of a sunny beach. Will had suffered sunburn from our day of snorkeling at Phi Phi, so spent most of the day in our room. I spent most of the morning there and then headed back for a dip in the pool before lunch.

Perhaps this is a good time to talk about some of the people I met. The more interesting we those with kids, and still weren't constrained in their desire or ability to travel. One Danish couple had been to Vietnam and Thailand three years earlier after their first child was born. They had two months of maternity leave and one month of vacation, so decided to travel those three months in Southeast Asia. Most Americans would spend their maternity leave, indeed if they even had any, near home with their new born...but not Europeans! A French couple with two little girls owned a ski school in Val D'Isere, France, so in their six month off season they came to Asia. The wife was an avid rock climber so half the time was spent at Railay, the rock climbing capital of the world. Her husband loved to surf, so the other half of the time was spent in Bali. Each compromised by participating in the other's sport.

After a late lunch I spent the afternoon at the resort pool. Then I went to Railay West to see the sunset, where I met the French couple. Then Will and I had dinner at a new hotel where we met the Danish couple. As we were getting ready to leave, the staff turned out all the lights. Then we niticed that they were bringing a birthday cake. We quickly asked the name of the wife, and then joined in singing Happy Birthday to her. It's special occasions like this, meeting other peole, that makes travel worthwhile.

We turned in early due to our early departure in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

My German friends from Karlsruhe on Pranang BeachMy German friends from Karlsruhe on Pranang Beach
My German friends from Karlsruhe on Pranang Beach

They went on the Phi Phi Island day trip with us, and I spent some of the morning with them


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb