Best place to watch the sunset?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
November 3rd 2007
Published: November 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We don't know - we scrambled back to Ao Nang before the rain could set in!

Saturday 3rd
Awoke 6.30, but tried to pretend to be asleep until 9.25, when I suddenly thought couldn't remember if breakfast finished 9.30 or 10! Typical breakfast, then meet up with Kym and head down to the beach to get our longtail boat to Railay Beach (via picking up another 'waterproof bag'), which is supposed to be much nicer than Ao Nang beach, and is just a couple of dollars to get to round the corner via the boat. Once they have 8-10 passengers they will go - boat is pretty finely balanced - keep thinking we're going to tip! Girl behind us keeps swapping sides to take photos and the boat tips quite a bit every time - how can she not realise?!

See the beach coming, yes, looks pretty nice. Find a spot with some shade (the sun's pretty relentless and I'm still burnt from yesterday), and RELAX... except for the touts: 'pineapple', 'corn', 'clothes', and 'massage', always 'massage' - especially the woman who keeps doing things to my feet/legs in trying to persuade me, which just really makes me want her to go away... which after about 5 minutes she does! Test out my waterproof bag, not suitable for submersion, well that was a waste! Alternate between dipping in the sea and reading 'Eat Pray Love', before rain about lunchtime sends us, and most others, scurrying for the restaurants (which considering most of us are wearing swimmers is quite funny!). We settle for a restaurant which looks good, and I have the pictured sandwich - tasty...

Wander round the small number of shops, then back to the beach until about 3.30pm, when a crack of thunder makes us decide to head for the boats back to Ao Nang, as there's clearly going to be no sunset from here tonight and if the boats stop running (as they did last night) we're stuck on the beach with no money, no spare clothes, etc...

Nice trip back, waves are bigger so it's a bit of a jump to shore, at which point it starts to run. Once again, like yesterday, brilliant timing! Back to the hotel, shower all the sand off, then go for a walk around the area. Walk into Poseidon Divers to see if they have submersible wet bags, not sure they do, but I pick up a load of information about scuba diving. Less than GBP200, and could take as little as 3 days if I do the book work over the weekend. Not sure if I want to do this or just relax though! Also take the waterproof camera in for processing... Back to hotel, meet Kym and we're both in the mood for fish & chips so head to the fish-strip on the seafront, where we find one which looks like it will do what we want (which is obviously not typical Thai food... ask for fish in wheat flour). We say 200g, they say 300g more usual - it turns up - 200g would have been plenty! Fully stuffed, we walk back past Burger King which as usual is blaring out "Have it Your Way, Have it Your Way" to some annoying tune which sticks in the head, but this time they are doing some "funky" dance, and "encouraging" (marshalling) people in to join... we stand well back! Back to the hotel, too tired to internet, to bed with Richard North Patterson "Conviction" (put Eat Pray Love to one side for now).


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb