Day 5 - John Gray Sea Canoe


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
April 8th 2007
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 7.97501, 98.3515

Today, Sunday, was spent with John Grae Sea Canoe on Phang Nga Bay.

What a spectacular way to spend a day. As previous reviews have said, the staff just
go out of their way to make it enjoyable.

The day started with us being picked up at our resort in a minibus and taken on around a one hour drive to the Ao Po pier, where the tour leaves from.

We were doing the Hongs by Starlight Tour which means we left later, around midday - yay, a lazy morning. We then transferred to the John Gray boat. The boat was quite similar to a ferry - there were around 30 of us and there was plenty of room.

The first part of the journey was an explanation of our tour and safety information, together with a yummy light lunch of spring rolls and chicken.

The staff pointed out various wildlife along the way, particularly the sea eagles that followed our boat. We passed many other much more crowded boats that were returning to Phuket, by the time we got to the islands and caves it was as if we had the bay to ourselves. Apparently John Gray is the only company with the licence to be in the hongs after dark.

We spent our afternoon at various islands and in various hongs and caves. It was totally amazing! The scenery was simply out of this world. To get into the hongs we needed to light totally flat in our canoe and when the tide was right we sailed through small holes in the rock to the hong (or inside room).

It was a much tighter squeeze than I was prepared for. I am not claustrophobic but I was a bit worried at times. At one point I had a rock digging in to my chest while lying horizontally! Our
guide then had to back out and wait for a lower tide before we could continue.

Our guide was named Beer and a more patient man I have never met, putting up with me and our daughter. Gary and Jayden were in another canoe as they can only take two at a time. At one point our torch went out while we were leaving the Bat Cave. It was totally black and totally freaky, but Beer saved the day and got us out safely!

Once back on the boat we had a delicious Thai buffet dinner and then we made
Hong EntranceHong EntranceHong Entrance

A Hong Entrance
our own Kratongs to float in the water. The phosphorence in the water after sundown was quite amazing.

We sailed back to Ao Po and were transferred back to Club Med, arriving around 9.30pm.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Canoes and Swimming In Phang NgaCanoes and Swimming In Phang Nga
Canoes and Swimming In Phang Nga

Steph Making Her Loy Kratong


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb