Exodus of all the food we've ever eaten.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
September 23rd 2015
Published: September 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

19th - 23rd



We took to the beach once again, this time fully armed with suncream, a hat for the now-bald Chris, sunglasses, new flip flops for the always over-shoed Chris, and plenty of water. Watching him walk in flip flops (for the first time I might add) was like watching a duck finding its feet, and I had to guide him in proper walking technique - "try walking heel to toe rather than landing on your whole foot". Ha!



The sea was more pleasant on this day, and although it was a sunny Saturday the streets and beach seemed quieter. Unfortunately, we spent the next few days in various states of pain either in bed or on the toilet - delhi belly has truly caught us with a vengeance. Chris seemed to get it worse than I did and is still suffering now a bit, although we're both definitely on the mend. Thank god for the posh hotel and it's posh air conditioning (and ventilation system in the rooms)! The good news is that we've become very acquainted with NHK World - an English language channel devoted to Japanese culture - and Lotus Macau TV, which shows English language films with Chinese subtitles. It feels like a right of passage for the stomach-sick traveller to discover these hidden entertainment gems as well as spend hours staring at the back of a bathroom door.



We've taken it pretty slow today (the 23rd), as we had to locate our next place to stay (a super cheap and cosy studio apartment) as well as navigate various stomach cramps. It turns out, after much deliberation and stalling leaving the hotel in monsoon rain, that our next booked room was a 3 second walk away to the building literally opposite. Result!



We had a long chat with Nick, the guy who owns the apartment complex. We seem to have met exclusively expats (cough, immigrants) with strong opinions so far but I suppose that's all part of the deal. He seems nice enough anyway, and recommended a place on the beach that has been tried and tested for food safety. Wai Thai had cheap, yummy pizza and kind of bland (but so safe) thai noodles, dilapidated tables covered with tattered pink tartan plastic tablecloths (no joke). One thing we're learning is never to judge a book by its cover, as you can never tell where the good places to eat are unless there are a lot of locals eating there!



The late afternoon was spent paddling and people watching on the beach. In England this would get boring very quickly, however on Patong beach the hustle and bustle never ends. Every five seconds a vendor walks past trying to sell something - anything - to unwitting foreigners which is always amusing, especially now I've perfected my "mai, kap khun kaaa" with applicable bow and head shake which seems to ward them off with a smile. A couple of days ago some Chinese tourists were being mobbed by three separate vendors, all of which one poor man was attempting to barter with. He ended up with a book of henna tattoos to choose from, some coconut oil, and possibly a jetski trip but we left before that deal was finalised.



Today was the best one: a man walking around with a MASSIVE iguana and offering people to hold it. One couple agreed and next moment she was flat on her back with an obviously miffed iguana on her chest. As we discovered from Chris' brush with a lizard, they lick before the bite - and this iguana kept flicking his tongue out in what seems to be a cute way. If the owner didn't keep covering the poor thing's eyes and turning its head away, it would definitely have had a nose-trophy to take home. Picture this happening in front of idyllic scenery - palm trees and setting sun etc etc - and then add a few hundred other people, at least 4 paragliders up in the air, 2 jetskis in the water and one banana boat. This makes for great watching if not for peaceful beaching; especially as the paragliders have another person hanging onto the chute for the duration of the flight, and then half somersault out of the bloody thing in order to land it! They were extremely agile and obvious thrillseekers, I just hope they get paid enough to make the life/risk thing worthwhile!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb