1/12/08 - 03/12/08 Doing a Mrs Mead (and a Charlie Boorman!)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 3rd 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Will start with Mrs Mead!

After a very successful nights sleep on the overnight bus we arrived in Krabi, a town in the south of Thailand. The weather wasn't up to much im afraid... Everyone we've met has come from the south and has been going opposite way to us and has said its been awful but report shows it will change! After checking in we tuk tuk'd to see one of the 3 largest sites for gastropod fossils in the world, and the only one by the sea. Jealous? U will be ha ha!! In the spirit of the Isle of Wight, I dragged my ass to view a very long stretch of concrete-looking beach, but being a fossil expert (wink wink) it was clear that we were looking at 4million old fossilised sea shells on a platform as far as the eye could see. Mrs M, you'd love it!!

Despite the cloudy sky we still took to the beach (still with the IoW mentality you see!). A very chilled day and night but with bad weather, Krabi didnt have much to offer so we hopped on a bus to Phuket the next day.
Yesterday (tues) we woke to glorius sunshine. Halleluliah! First things first we hired a moped - escellent having the wind in our face again! We were staying on Phuket town so we drove to Patong Beach, bout half hr away. Had a couple of chilled hours on the beach and went parascending which was excellent, havent done that before. Took a ride to the Gibbon Rehabilitation Centre and saw some gibbons that had been rescued from cruelty or who werent surviving in the wild. The project aimed at getting them back in the forests and seemed really good. Some of the gibbons would be there forever though as had been too badly harmed by humans.

Today was awesome! We drove to the pier and jumped on a speedboat to Coral Island. First thing on the agenda was sea walking. Basically, we had a astronaut-type helmet put over our heads which was connected to an oxygen tank on board a boat. We were lowered into the sea (very deep, ears popped!) and arrived on the sea bed. We were completely surrounded by fish and reef. Me and Don had a guide between us who helped us walk around - it was so hard to gage distances as the helmet was thick, was like looking through glasses. He kept picking up corals and sea urchins to let us hold and gave us bread to feet the fish. They had a small nibble of me too!! It was really good. We payed to use there camera so cant wait to sea the film when its developed! Had some lunch in between but spent rest of morning and afternoon snorkelling and sunbathing. The fish and corals came pretty close to the shoreline and the water was so clear. And did I mention the white sand? Beautiful.
hee hee.

thats it for now update wise,

And now Charlie... We have travelled by so many modes of transport so far:

bicycle, plane, speedboat, slowboat, junk, moped, tuk tuk, cyclo, moto, jumbo, monorail, train, bus, sleeper bus, coach, rubber raft, bamboo raft, rubber ring, ELEPHANT, parachute, and helmet to walk on sea bed!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

marketmarket
market

this is a view from our hotel. Very nice you say? NOPE! turns out the market only gets going after dark and runs through til morning!
Coral IslandCoral Island
Coral Island

our underwater helmets
Coral IslandCoral Island
Coral Island

don being lowered into the sea


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb