Elephant trekking


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
February 21st 2008
Published: February 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yes Maman, I wore shorts, used sun screen and bug spray. But was still eaten by the mosquitoes. And yes I have benedril and claritin in my luggage. To answer your previous question Thai people eat with fork and knife.

Today we woke up early to have a great breakfast before heading to the jungle. This place is very different from other touristy places as they seem to take in wounded and neglected elephants (as well as other animals) from harsh situations arount the country. They rehabilitate them and all the money goes towards taking care of them and giving the elephants a better life than they otherwise would have had.

We got a nice treat at the waiting area as two residents came up and said Hi. They have Gibbons, a type of ape not monkeys (Monkeys have tails). They seem very friendly and smart as they will steal your beer, glasses, soda and money without you knowing it while they distract you.

The ride on the elephant was amazing yet scary at times. We felt like we were going to fall of more than a couple of times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



21st February 2008

Looks amazing! So fun!
Hi Vi, Glad you took my advice of getting pictures of you and you and Justin together taken! They are already memorable and wonderful to see. How is the weather there? Are you enjoying the couple time? Looks like you had a great time, even if you got bit by lots of bugs. I guess that's just a hazzard of a humid climate and being around animals. =) I look foward to seeing more pictures and hearing more each day. Sora is going to be so jealous you rode an elephant! =)
21st February 2008

WOW
The pictures you two have taken are beautiful. It looks so peaceful and relaxing over there. So what has been the most fun to do so far? Hope everything is going well.
22nd February 2008

Cable
So the all important question Justin...Do you have cable out there in the jungle?? :-)

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb