...the see and sprout project...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phang-Nga
November 26th 2007
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

See & Sprout Project
...or try this link
http://web.mac.com/staciek/iWeb/Site/the%!p(MISSING)roject.html
if the first one doesn't work!

I am teaming up with Staci Krajchir , a PR company owner/operator from Los Angeles to help her complete a project here that will hopefully have a big impact on the kids of Ban Tharn Namchai. Staci has a background in art and this project is all about photography, so I am hyped about the involvement!

The goals of her project are to allow the children to be expressive and creative; connect images with words; see their work complete and on paper; have their work exhibited (professionally); and ultimately gain an income from the sale of their own work.

Staci’s project will encompass teaching the children how to operate the 10 digital HP cameras she has sponsored through her own fundraising efforts, printing the images and basic computer knowledge about digital photography, selecting the best images from the child’s perspective and what makes a good image. The photography portion of this project will include photographing with a purpose.

The project will begin with a session on brainstorming those things that illustrate key words. Some of the words include: Happy,, Sad, Nature, Tsunami, Love, Beautiful, Friend, Food, Dream or Wish, and Favorite things. Once the children have a selection of 20 photographs each, they will choose their best five to be printed. Of the printed images (that they will be allowed to keep), the child can choose their favorite. This image will be the topic image they will write about. The second part of the project, the writing portion, will encourage the children to use their words to illustrate their emotions from the picture. They are all going to write the “stories” in Thai and then have them translated into English.

Staci is working with a gallery in San Francisco that will house a gallery showing of the children’s work including the child’s bio and profile. The funds raised from this showing and the subsequent sales of the printed images (printing of the large scale gallery copies donated by Hewlett Packard) will go directly to each child that sold the item for their future savings.

My take on the finished materials will differ slightly for fundraising purposes. In connection with a small house Canadian publishing company (waiting for confirmation before I release the name…) I will put together a hardcover photography book to be published and printed in Canada. A limited edition book that the Ban Tharn Namchai Craftshop will sell from their handicraft store and that I will sell overseas to continue to raise funds.

------
Day One:
What began as a seedling of an idea sprouted into a full-blown project. The children, 10 volunteer students from Ban Tharn Namchai Orphanage sat around a whiteboard with two creative minds at the head, a professional photographer who “happened to be there,” his wife who translated every word and nuance we wanted to pass on to the children, and Rotjana who was as excited about the project as we were.

Very quickly, the initial chaos of creative energy gave way to a focused photo lesson. John, our professional photographer friend did a fantastic job of showing the kids the proper way to manage a digital camera from the initial way to load the memory cards to the various techniques each camera could produce. Then we sat back and let them loose!

An hour later the enthusiasm had not faltered a bit and some of the images the kids took are beautiful! Primarily of each other and the goings on of the orphanage in the evening, the images reflected a warm and loving atmosphere. Exactly the correct feel of this home. The kids were interested and asked intelligent questions, but most of all they displayed a range of talents for photography that I never expected. I can’t wait for tomorrow’s session!

Our agenda for Day 2 is as follows:

ASSIGN THE CAMERA TO EACH STUDENT
ASSIGN A MEMORY CARD FOR THEIR PERSONAL USE
GROUP WORK AROUND TODAY’S TOPICS
PHOTOGRAPHY SESSION:
SQUARES
SOFT THINGS
THREE FAVORITE ITEMS AT HOME







Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The chosen 10 participants...The chosen 10 participants...
The chosen 10 participants...

The 10 children were chosen for thier interest, age and dedication.


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb