Monkey Business in Krabi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
September 18th 2008
Published: September 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up bright and early again this morning for our kayaking excursion into the mangrove regions around Krabi. We eagerly awaited our taxi/minivan to the drop off point in our guesthouse waiting area but by 8am nobody came.....by 8.15am nobody had arrived......by 8.30am still no one and after phoning the company we were told to stay put and we would be picked up shortly.
Within 5 minutes a truck pulled up outside and the driver ushered us in. He apoligised for the delay and stated that the minivan had its wheel fall off. "Hmmm I have heard this one before!" After asking if he had actually forgotton us he assured us that his company never forgets the customer. None the less, we were on our way and in some pretty nice transport as well. After 10 mins of driving we stopped beside a tuk tuk on the side of the road filled with 4 other tourists. Clearly we now realised we had been forgotton but clambering into the back of the tuk tuk anyhow and off we set again. The trance music and air con in the truck were alot nicer than the bumpy ride the tuk tuk offered, but as long as we get there.

By 9am we reached the drop off point, Kayaks out on the water waiting for us. However we were just told to sit down, enjoy some coffee and wait for high tide so we could get into the mangroves. After half an hour or so we were told to get ready, put our essentials into a drybag and clamber into our two seater sea kayak. We waited for everyone to get in and then paddled out into the sea. We were in a large estuary surrounded by mangroves and small river openings of which we targetted one and all set off. The current and chop from the sea made paddling alot of effort as we crossed the 1km wide estuary, no worries though because once across the chop dissapated into the mangroves which wound their way around us. As we zig zagged our way through the meandering stream we noticed how muddy and dirty the water was. The guide told us that the scum in the water makes you itch and so we tried to stay as dry as possible!
The mangroves were odd, like those lucky bamboo sticks you can buy that coil up into the sky. The only difference is that the mangroves coil in every direction, like they are all trying to strangle each other. They also block out most of the light overhead which was good because the sun was scorching hot. After a few bumps and near misses with low lying branches we reaching the cliff face and so now only had to worry about dodging the mangroves on one side. Veering too close to the cliff was also scary because of the large monitor lizards that lay their basking in the sunshine. We visited a few large open lagoons which were a blessing for anyone who was a little claustrophobic in the mangroves.

After a little while we spotted our first monkey, following us round on the cliff face. Thinking that was the closest we would get we carried on. The next stopping point was next to a bend in the river that had little current, probably because of all the mangroves jutting out everywhere. It was then that our guide cut up some pineapple and threw it into the water. There were splashes everywhere, like rocks were being dropped into the water. It was monkeys! Diving from the trees above us it was so funny to watch but also amazing how human their swimming was. I never knew monkeys could swim but here they were doing bombs! The monkeys would bomb into the water, swim across the surface, grab the pineapple with one hand and shove it in their mouth and then swim to one of our kayaks and sit on the end to eat it. They also used our kayaks as bridges or stepping stones jumping from one to the other to get close to the guide with the pineapple. One particular monkey got on extremely well with the guide and even ate the pineapple out of the guides mouth, but only when asked. There were also lots of baby monkeys too! One even sat on Rachaels head! Then when asked, they retreated to the trees to wait for the next boat load of people, amazing!

We then paddled our way up to an opening into the sea against the tide and chop. The paddling was very hard but with a restbite on a normally in accessible beach we headed back across to the drop off point. Very happy with our day we were delivered back to our guesthouse in time to shower and go out for lunch. Lunch was KFC I am afraid, but this will be the only time I promise!


Advertisement



18th September 2008

bombs
It must have been great fun to see the monkeys falling out of the trees. Just shows what greedy animals they are. Did your shoulders suffer after all the paddling? Lots of love - Dad
19th September 2008

Just read about your monkey and mangrove trip. sounds good fun but a lot of paddling. We are going to M'hoe for w'end to stay with Helen and David in their caravan. Only arranged y'day so nice surprise. Weather supposed to be good. Love Mum.
23rd September 2008

hi
just printed off you latest bloggs , take then to grandma and grandad s who are very interested in your adventures , its like a novel you cant wait till the next chapter, glad all is well love to you both x
24th September 2008

Have you disappeared? Had super w'end in M'hoe. Lovely weather. Walked Morte Pt and saw 5 seals, walked to Lee and went down to Rockham and paddled in the sea. just as it should have been in the so called summer. Back to normal grey weather now. Hope both O.K and still having great time. Love Mum.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb