Day 32 - 38: Tonsai Beach & back to Krabi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi » Koh Lanta
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

After Krabi we decided to check-out the rock climbing meccah that is Tonsai Beach. Upon arrival the Krask rock formations had us in awe.

After a short but rather moist trip on a long boat we arrived at the upper class Rai-Leh East. Afer a brief walk through the jungle, backpacks and all, we emerged at Rai-Leh West. The next task involved clambering through some razor-sharp rocks in order to penetrate the lofty defences of Tonsai Beach.

We enjoyed the daily cool breeze that Tonsai had to offer but decided after a day of relaxation we had to join the adrenaline junkies (rock climbers, base jumpers, kayakers and fire experts) and immerse ourselves in the vibrant spirit of the Tonsai culture. We jumped in at the deep end and went to explore the 'View Point' and the 'Lagoon'.

Expecting a long uphill walk, what actually faced us was a near vertical mountain climb through the jungle. The mix of mud, rope and tree roots were our only aids in this near impossible task. It was, however, worth the incredible strain as you can see from the pictures.

This inspired us to try some real rock climbing. We met our guide and teacher in the Pirate Bar where he demonstrated his mesmerising but erratic fire poi skills. We liked the dude so we decided to go rock climbing with him. We took a beginners course and managed to conquer a 5A, 5B and 6A graded rock-face. Unfortunately we forgot to take the camera but it has spurred us on to do many more climbs along our way.

We are now back in Krabi where we plan to visit the Emerald Pool, Hot Springs and Tiger Cave Temple. Unfortunately our plans have temporarily been put on hold as Lewis overcomes a minor case of food poisening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



22nd June 2012

It looks fantastic!!! take care & hope Lewis soon feels OK!!!! Much love
29th June 2012

Loving your photographs I couldnt do the kayak ugh but scenery beautiful. Rock climbing loks a bit risky for me, lagoon stunning I can feel the sand on my feet !!!! You all look well hope Lewis has recovered!! Keep sending the photos have a fabulous time take care loads of love.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb