Koh Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
August 3rd 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We finally made it to Koh Tao and headed straight to our hotel which was conveniently 5 minutes down road. When we got there we got shown to our room and having to carry our bags up stupidly steep steps we made it to our fan room. After a closer inspection of our room we discovered a cockroach laying on its back by the bed…we gave it a poke and it wiggled! Quickly placing a glass over it he stayed under that. A fan room was what it was, literally circulating all the hot air! So we tried to sleep and due to exhaustion fell asleep for 3 hours, waking at 1pm we went to get a decent meal after eating loads of junk food on our epic journey. We found a little Thai place that overlooked the pier which also had Wi-Fi. For 60 bahts we had the best pad Thai we had ever had a better yet there was no celery in it! (Devil food according to Zoe). The beach was 2 seconds away from our apartment and as the sun set we sat on the beach and had a swim. Giggling over our Bangkok experiences and eventful trip down, we finally made it to Koh Tao for some chill days. We then went back and headed to a place called Tattoo bar, which was recommended to us by a Thai man on the boat over, he said they have best pizza. So we ordered pizza and nachos! Very yummy food!
Waking up after a very hot and sweaty night in Utopia suites, we packed up and headed for Sairee beach. Getting a taxi over on the back of a truck; the roads were a lot less bumpy than a previous experience we had on the roads in Koh Phaghan! We got dropped on a random back road and he pointed us in the direction of the beach. As we kept walking no one enticed us to stay at their hotel/guesthouse…so we kept walking and walking…! At this point we had been walking for a good 20 minutes in 30 degree heat, not cool! We stopped and asked a few people that really weren’t helpful; so we found room advertising and asked the price. At 1500 Thai bahts it was way over our budget, so as we sat outside disheartened that we were going to have to continue lobbing our bags around, the man we had just spoke to came out and pointed us in the direction of some beach bungalows. As we headed down the dirt track it was unclear as to where you went…eventually we found the owner who informed us he only had big rooms available for 800 bahts. So we gave in and we got shown to our bungalow that was right on the beach! It was amazing! And as we went in the room we knew it was meant to be when our bed sheet and pillows were tinkerbell.
The bungalow was right on the golden beach so we headed straight there to get our tan on. Although it was really hot the clouds were deceiving and I don’t think we’d been as sensible as we should have been with the sun tan lotion as Danni got a little burnt and spent the next few days in the shade while I lay a few metres in front of her soaking up the sun! We joked that it looked like we had had a row! We thought we would have a wander along the beach and check out the main street so set off on good few mile walk down the beach as our hotel was at the furthest end of the beach. We ventured into the strip and found a café that served English tea which we had been craving, and had yummy Spanish omelette and ciabatta for only 60 bahts, we stayed for a few hours taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi. After our bucket filled nights in Bangkok we decided we needed to burn these off and did boot camp in our bungalow which we filmed on Danni's video camera, watching it back was both hilarious and cringe worthy!
Had a well-earned lie in the next morning and woke to find the bungalow had been infested with ants they were in our cases and our clothes! Had a bit of an ant cull using the shower head. In need of another tea fix we headed back to the café and were both very excited to get the marmite out that my mum had kindly packed us. After breakfast we wandered back along the beach where Danni sat in the shade, even though she was a few metres away from me I missed her, sad but true! The sun didn’t last long and before long it was pouring and there were gale force winds. On a fitness kick we went back to the bungalow and did another hard boot camp session, although decided not to film this one! We got showered and headed to a Mexican restaurant where we had yummy burritos and watched the hangover 2 which had us both in stitches and we felt was fitting as was filmed in Thailand! Got very wet walking home and got into bed watched a bit of Gavin and Stacey on the netbook which reminded us of home, after I had lived in Cardiff for 8 years and Danni’s been nursing in Essex for the last 2 years, got a little bit homesick 😞
After falling asleep we awoke to howling wind, banging and pouring rain. We were both pretty scared as we right on the beach we wondered how close the tide was to us, but rather than investigate we tried to ignore it and get some sleep. We woke early and did another boot camp session! Zoe decided her new profession is going to be a fitness instructor, which I think she would be good at, she’s bossy enough 
Went for breakfast at café corner again tea and toast, proper English people! We wandered down the road and found a sign for laundry so got a bag full of sweaty clothes from our entire long journey washed, only 2.50! We got our boat booked to Koh Samui and brought ourselves a bat and ball so we could fit on with the cool people on the beach… We headed back to the beach at caught about an hour of sun before it began to tip down with rain, again! We sat on our balcony reading our books, although Zoe read magazines as she gave up on reading ‘the beach’. The rest if the day was pretty boring…food and sleep ready for our move to Koh Samui the next day…
We got up early to move out of bungalow and having saying thank you or ‘kob kun kaa’ to the owners of the O’Chai bungalows (who were a very lovely family with the older grandparents, husband and wife and a very cute baby boy) we headed off back up the dirt track we came to get a taxi to the pier. On the way up I heard a scream and turned around to see blood all over Zoe's foot, with the mixture of sand and blood into a paste I thought the worse! Getting my medical kit out, We investigated further to find she had cut her toe (my massive kit finally comes in handy!) cleaning and dressing the wound we set off again.
Once we got to the pier there was a very long queue so being British we got to the back no questions asked…but after half an hour of queuing I looked around to realise we were at the catamaran queue! But we were supposed getting the high speed boat. Making an embarrassing exit me and Zoe headed off in search of the correct pier just down the road. While waiting we decided it would be a good idea to get an ice-cream for breakfast, bad idea after we got on boat and had very bumpy 3 hour journey. We arrived in Koh Samui and bartered a taxi to Chaweng beach, this is where the story ends for now…….


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb