A Changed Plan ...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
June 17th 2013
Published: June 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sadly we have now had 4 sleeps at this amazing place in Koh Samui ... which means there are only another 4 left before we continue on our Thailand adventure. Since my last post we have been doing lots of relaxing ... let me share a bit of that with you now ...

On Saturday afternoon we headed down to the north coast of Koh Samui to Mae Nam beach again ... we have found this to be our favourtie area so far on this trip. We had read about a little local bar that was worth a visit so we set out to find it. Thankfully with our car we can take lots of wrong turns and eventually find our way. The boys just don't understand why we keep getting lost! It is funny how they think we should just know where everything is, how long it will take to get there and what will be there when we arrive!!! We keep reminding them that we have NEVER been here before so how could we possibly know the answer to that.

Anyway we eventually found somewhere to park and walked along the beach to the far western end of Mae Nam beach to where the Black Rose Bar sat all alone with nothing else within cooee. It was so peaceful and beautiful. We were the only people there (other than the Thai owner who ran the bar) and he was so lovley ... making banana smoothies for the boys and serving cocktails and beer to Scott and I. He did make me the best Sex on the Beach cocktail ever ... it was fantastic! Thgis was another location where the boys could swim in the ocean and play in the sand whilst Scott and I could relax ... it was perfectly set up for this. We also had fun playing some pool with the boys and Dylan enjoyed wathing the speedboats coming back from day trips as they all passed the point where we sat and watched the afternoon slip away ...

We then relocated to another little beach restaurant further east along Mae Nam Beach for a quick "local" Thai dinner and headed back to the Resort fairly early as the boys were a bit tired and needed time to wind down. Scott enjoyed his first Thai massage that night at the resort Spa and came back very relaxed!! Thai massage is very very good.

Yesterday we were meant to go on a full Day trip, but due to high seas the trip was cancelled so we made a last minue change of plans. After breakfast we headed down to the main area of Koh Samui ... Chaweng Beach. This is along the East Coast where most tourists stay and it is jam packed with people, resorts and madness!!! We went in search of a place called the "Aqua Park" where we knew the boys would enjoy a morning playing in the sea on large inflatable trampolines, slides and climbing towers. We were not wrong ... when we arrived and found a carpark right next to the place we were thrilled and the boys were super excited once they saw what was on the beach! Thankfully we arrived early (about 9.30am) as Chaweng Beach does not get going really until after lunch ... so we had a lovely area to ourselves until everyone else flocked to the beach a bit later in the day.

We ended up staying here until about 3pm ... we had lunch on the beach (which was lovley but we found a lot more expensive than other beach areas - probably because it was full of touritsts!) and enjoyed swimming and playing on the inflatable equipment (see photo). A lovely English couple owned this business so they gave us lots of great tips on where to go and what to do ... we took their advice and after leaving Chaweng Beach we headed south along the east coast to another area called Lamai. Here there was a Sunday afternoon / night street market. This was fun ... we tried some food from the street carts (SO cheap and yummy!), enjoyed a couple of cocktails from the street vendors (only 50 Baht / cocktail ... about $2!!) and bought some bits and pieces (more clothes, sunglasses, keyrings etc). We have found the boys are a liability with trying to haggle ... if they want something they make it really obvious and they think when the Thai people say "normal price = 500 Baht ... but for you 200 Baht" they are getting a bargain. But in reality the thing is worth 100 Baht or less so Scott and I have the struggle to get the price down to what it should be!!! A funny experience for the boys ... we clearly need to assist them a little more in understanding how haggling works!

We headed home after dark last night so everyone was tired again ... and today we have decided to have a quiet morning in the unit and head out after lunch. The boys are enjoying watching a DVD they bought at th market and we will swim and relax on the deck chairs outside and watch the morning slip by ... it is very hot today so we can stay in the air conditioning if we want to cool down!!

That all for now ... we are very relaxed over here. I hope you are not too cold back at home ... Love us xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Overhead Power LinesOverhead Power Lines
Overhead Power Lines

Cam what do you make of this mess??


17th June 2013

So jealous!
Hi Min - I just caught up on your last couple of blog entries. Sounds like you're having a fantastic holiday and I can hear the happiness and relaxation in your writing voice (a little different from some other holiday stories I've heard...) What a wonderful time with the family and the apartment looks and sounds awesome - I can understand why you don't want to leave!! It's very chilly here all of a sudden so enjoy the warmth while you can. Is the Thai food as expected? Keep the posts coming... Kxx

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb