The Honeymoon

Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
August 31st 2012
Published: November 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

We finally arrived in Bangkok after a long journey from Jordan. We were met at the airport by our guides as we had 6 hours before we were flying down to Koh Samui. We went to see the Temple of the Golden Buddha, The Temple of the Reclining Buddha and were given a lot of information about the history of the places. Unfortunately tiredness got the better of me and the information simply went in one ear and out of the other. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do what the boys did and fall asleep as soon as we got in the car to move onto the next point of interest and to say my enthusiasm was wavering would be an understatement. The final stop we made was to a Gem Gallery and this was pretty emotional for me. We watched a film about how they cut the Ruby’s and Diamonds and then saw the workers creating their wares. After this we were taken into the jewellery shop to have a look at the finished products. This is where I lost the plot. There were floor to ceiling shiny things and I was like a magpie not knowing where to look. It felt like someone was punishing me for something being in a room with so many diamonds within arm’s reach but not being able to buy anything! So I stood, bewildered and nearly crying until the boys said it was a good time to leave as they didn’t want me having a diamond breakdown!

After this we made our way back to the airport and boarded a rather rickety old plane with about 80 seats but only 15 passengers. When we arrived in Koh Samui at about 4pm we were very much looking forward to reaching the hotel. We were picked up at the airport and made our way to the Banyan Tree Resort. As the booking had only been made for two people, it was decided that Pete was Fez’s secretary and he would be staying only for the night. What a romantic honeymoon eh bringing the secretary with us! We were greeted at the reception of the hotel with a fresh flower rosary, drink and cold towel….at this point I knew it was going to be a very different experience to where I had stayed previously! We were taken by golf buggy to our Deluxe Ocean Villa and our jaws all hit the floor when we walked in. The place was amazing. We had an infinity pool, foot spa and hot Jacuzzi which could all be reached from every room in the villa. There was a lovely living room, the bedroom was huge with the most comfortable bed I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping on and a bathroom complete with a bath filled with rose petals and a separate rain shower. Wow, just wow! Before the staff had even finished dropping off our luggage the boys were in the pool and I swiftly followed. We supped champagne in the hot tub and completely forgot about the arduous journey to reach luxury.

The next day we went out to explore the town and the beach. First stop though was to buy the boys a Chang, the national beer of Thailand. So we hit the beach and hired out some jet skis. Good news, I didn’t fall off whilst travelling at high speeds, bad news I fell off whilst it was stationary and I was attempting an elegant dismount! Fail! We had three nights at this beautiful resort and I think we were all in agreement that it would be hard to top this place.

Next stop, Phuket. Unfortunately there was a minor glitch in getting our secretary a place on our flight and with one of the biggest hangovers in history, Pete had to make an 11 hour bus journey to reach us. Fez and I arrived at the Westin Siray Bay in Phuket Old Town at around midday and made our way swiftly to the pool complete with swim up bar. Due to lack of sleep and over indulgence in Chang, I managed to pass out whilst trying to order another drink! Pete finally arrived, looking rather disheveled, whilst we were making plans with a tour guide. We booked to go on a day of adventure and that it most certainly was! The next day we were bundled into a van and taken off the island just onto the mainland of Thailand. The day started with white water rafting. I was like the queen of the boat as I didn’t have to do anything! All the other boats had 4 people and 2 guides, whereas we were a 3 so that meant that one person didn’t have to do anything and that person was me. So I sat in the boat like the queen of the river whilst the boys paddled like people possessed just to make sure we were the first to finish. Towards the bottom of the river, all the boats stopped and we were asked if we would like to get out and have a dip. I declined and was swiftly tipped out of the boat and into the water. After rafting came the worst part of the day for me, a high rope walk over a river followed by an aerial zip-line, now I have done these types of high walks before and I hated it, this time was certainly no different! But I got through it and then it was time for a jungle quad bike ride. After this was my favourite part of the day, an elephant trek. Pete and I sat together on one Nelly and King Fez had one to himself. It was so good; I can barely put into words what an experience it was. I even got to sit at the front of the elephant behind her ears and was riding freestyle (this would have been a lot more fun if it wasn’t that elephant skin is like sandpaper and was taking the scab off my Petra injury on my knee).

After 3 nights it was time to move on again back to Bangkok (4th time for me!). This time the secretary was flying with us! We arrived at our next hotel, the Shangri-La. Another truly amazing hotel where we had a suite with views over the city and the river. After 2 nights it was time to say an emotional farewell to Pete. I was a blubbering mess when he left as I knew it would be a long time until I saw him again. Now I don’t want to inflate his ego but I’ll really miss him. On Sunday it was the penultimate day and Fez and I went to the Chatuchak weekend market to have a peruse. It was the biggest market I have ever seen and we barely saw a quarter of what was on offer before we felt hot and bothered and went back to the hotel. That evening we packed our things and I prepared for yet another goodbye. In the morning, Fez left at 6am and I was left in the room on my own wondering if the whole experience had been a dream, it certainly felt like it. So that was it, honeymoon over, well until our anniversary next year of course.I had one final, and rather epic, buffet breakfast before heading off on my next adventure.

Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 26


Tot: 1.503s; Tpl: 0.063s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb