A Trip to Thailand - Ko Samui & Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
February 5th 2010
Published: September 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

So this blog is about our trip to Thailand, which was intended for a visa run, but didn't quite end up working that way. That's OK though, because then we had more time to spend in the lovely Koh Samui (If we were to get our visas, we needed to spend more time in Bangkok where the embassy was!) So, we changed our flights and enjoyed the Thai island life!

For our first few nights we splurged and stayed in the lovely Villa Nalinnadda. As you can see by the pictures, it was modeled to look very Mediterranean, and all of the rooms (there were only 8 in total) were very private and luxurious. I think our favorite part of staying here was the breakfast we received every morning on our little beachside terrace...lovely! Hopping on our motorbike to travel around the island was fun though, too! Some of the things we saw and did in Koh Samui were: A mummified monk (seriously), a gorgeous waterfall (where we took a dip), The Grandmother & Grandfather Rocks (use your imagination), and having dinner at a really nice resort called Rocky's! (We had dinner there on a huge rock at the edge of a cliff!) We also met a really great couple, Hollie and Arran, who are originally from England, but currently living and working in Singapore! We even saw a ladyboy show with them!!

After a few days though, we decided to switch to Villa Nalinnadda's sister hotel in the Fisherman's Village - the northern part of the island. This way we could save some money and also check out a new part of Koh Samui! In Fisherman's Village we had a great time.... the area was very quaint, with lots of shopping and good food! It was also near some of the bigger (and more crowded beaches), which we checked out one day anyway. We also got to see a giant Buddha, and play Soccer-Golf (quite fun), and one night we had dinner on the beach at a 5-star resort called "The Peace Resort" - which seemed to do the opposite to Larry's stomach!

At the end of the week, we headed to Bangkok for a few nights. Being it was our first time in Thailand, our friends said that it was dirty, but worth seeing at least once! So, off to Bangkok we went... And for only being there a few days, we really managed to squeeze a lot in, including: a long (private) boat ride down Chao Praya River, the Temple of the Dawn and Wat Po (the reclining Buddha), Chatuchak Market (the crazy weekend market), a snake show, a ping-pong show (for those of you who aren't familiar, you'll have to ask us), and dinner at a fabulous little place called "Eat Me!" How great is that??

Well, enjoy our photos!

Lots of love,
Larry & Melanie


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wat Khum AramWat Khum Aram
Wat Khum Aram

Loung Pordaeng 'The Mummified Monk'
Rubbing the BellRubbing the Bell
Rubbing the Bell

At Wat KhumAram Temple
Our FriendsOur Friends
Our Friends

Holly & Aaron, and another couple we met
The Peace Resort RestaurantThe Peace Resort Restaurant
The Peace Resort Restaurant

Not so peaceful for Larry!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb