Exotic Wonders in the Land of Smiles


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
December 25th 2006
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A Thai-Style WelcomeA Thai-Style WelcomeA Thai-Style Welcome

Fruit carving is an art in Thailand
In Thailand, particularly at the resort where we stayed, fruit carving was a fine art form. Here is a true "Land of Smiles" welcome carved expertly into a watermelon. The red, immense beauty with apparent "scales", pure white on the inside and melting in the mouth, is the dragonfruit, a rare delight to be enjoyed at every possible opportunity. The same goes for the rose apple: pure paradise.

We were quite surprised in the bustling town of Chawang Beach to find a roadside snack cart filled to the brim with worms and other nasty-looking critters. We watched in astonishment as the attendant scooped up a mound with a gloved hand, as casually as serving up roasted peanuts, and dropped them into a bag. A young lady paid, and leisurely snacked on her crunchy and oozing morsels, plucking them from the bag.

The humid, misty island is brimming with rare blooms. On an afternoon stroll, we caught these snapshots of blue and violet lotuses, and bright pink wild orchids with a tender blush of white.

The rock formations are known as Hin Ta-Hin Yai. We visited the famous site, auspiciously known as "Grandfather and Grandmother". The locals believe that
DragonfruitDragonfruitDragonfruit

Incredible...
there are female and male figures that appear in the rocks.

The mummified monk is the actual body of the Buddhist monk Loung Por Ruam, in a the lotus position of meditation, virtually undecayed for more than twenty-five years. It is believed that his purity of spirit has held his body in this pristine state for almost three decades. At the temple of Wat Kiri Wongkaram many worshippers pay homage to him.

Locals in Koh Samui travel light, frequently on motorcycles, and there is hardly an SUV to be found. That would explain the vendors selling gasoline, tinted in red and yellow, in glass bottles on the roadside. I love the handy flip-flop display right alongside the colored bottles of motor fuel. You can get a new tire and a tune-up in back.

Among the many motorcycles, and exotic sights was the unusual and amazing "Harey Davidson". We had seen many mispellings on signs, both in Thailand and elsewhere, but this was and is the reigning coup de gras. As we pronounced it out loud, we suddenly had an image in our minds of a native Thai speaker telling the airbrusher to paint "you know, Harey Davidson!"
Dragonfruit and Rose ApplesDragonfruit and Rose ApplesDragonfruit and Rose Apples

Dragonfruit front and center, rose apples on the top left


Last but not least, if you ever visit Koh Samui, they offer a "dang" good massage. We actually did ask how this beach massage place got it's name, and the woman said, "well, my name is Dang, and 4 is my lucky number."


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Bugs, Anyone?Bugs, Anyone?
Bugs, Anyone?

Not my cup of tea
LotusesLotuses
Lotuses

Pure Zen
Wild OrchidsWild Orchids
Wild Orchids

Beautiful up close
Cruising TogetherCruising Together
Cruising Together

A snapshot at a lookout point by the beach en route to Hin Ta-Hin Yai
GrandfatherGrandfather
Grandfather

Like a Rorshacht Blot, what you see in a rock formation is up to you.
GrandmotherGrandmother
Grandmother

Somehow this ties in with the "Grandfather" thing.
Mummified MonkMummified Monk
Mummified Monk

At the temple Wat Kiri Wongkaram
Gasoline By The BottleGasoline By The Bottle
Gasoline By The Bottle

Not strawberry cola and pineapple juice, folks!
Harey DavidsonHarey Davidson
Harey Davidson

Spelled exactly as pronounced, of course!
DANG!DANG!
DANG!

The best dang massage you've ever had.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb