Ko Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
April 14th 2012
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It's so hot today. After Songkran yesterday, it's supposed to get colder here until November time. Most Thai people wear jeans and gear we would wear in the snow!

Songkran

Songkran was so much fun, we didn't invest in any water squirting devices, probably a good deal as they were all around 12-13 quid each, and the festivities have all stopped today! We were quite content to just get soaked the whole day. It was very refreshing actually as most people just poured water over you as you passed through the tight streets, but others just blasted you with their supersoakers. Either way, you have 0 chance of staying dry. If you come to Thailand in mid April, expect to get wet! I didn't even dress for dinner last night, just my swimming shorts on, as the water fights continued into the early hours. Our party continued onto the Irish bar and then some beach bars.



Muay Thai

Don't get this confused with Pad Thai. One is a stir fried noodle dish with egg and vegtables, the other involves you getting kicked in the head. Thai Kickboxing is the number 1 sport here, and it's so cool. I didn't want to leave without witnessing a fight, and last night we stumbled past a small stadium style arena with about 100 or so people watching. I expected to pay an entrance free, but it was free, and straight away i saw why! A sign said "get a free a bucket if you fight", and some people did. We saw 2 fights between volunteers, 2 men and 2 women, respectively. Both were quite a good watch for different reasons. Then after about 15 mins without anyone volunteering, 2 locals got up. I expected spa-ing, where the two just take it easy and work on technique. no. They beat the sh*t out of each other! This sport requires speed, agility and technique; being a beefcake won't be enough. These guys were kicking each other in the head (roundhouse style), even at one point I think I saw do a 'sporty spice' kick. You know the one i mean. There was no blood shed, or no injuries, just an awesome physical battle between two Thai men.



Fish treatment

We had that fish thing today, when you put your feet in the water, and fish nibble at your feet. If you are very tickleish, it may not be for you. It feels like exreme pins a needles, and we had about about 25 minutes, and both of our feet feel great now!



The Beach

We are just about to embark on an overnight trip of to Maya Bay, where they filmed the beach. We both are so excited. You even get to swim that last km if you want, just like Leo does in the film. We are going snorkeling, caving, and there is a fire show later i think! We sleep on the beach outdoors obviously, with no matress or duvet, so very rustic indeed! Pictures to follow of course. Tomorrow they will wake us at 530am to watch the sunrise, have a BBQ breakfast, play some beach football, then back to Phi Phi at 10 am. It's gonna be biblical. I am so excited.



So long.....

becky@andy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb