Phi Phizzle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
March 22nd 2012
Published: March 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Banana Catch 21 secs
The boat ride to Phi Phi was one of the better ones, the boat wasnt packed and we could sit inside or sunbathe on the deck wherever we liked. As we pulled up to the Port the water was crystal clear and full of fish. We thought as this was the pier it could only get better on the other side of the landsplit where we planned to stay. We searched for a cheap place for ages in Phi Phi and this was one of the only places we have struggled to find something. The accom is really expensive here and the cheapest we found was 400 baht for a dungeon room. It was underneath someone elses room and just had a fan. It was shared showers and toilets but as we only planned on 2nights here we didnt mind. We agreed we wouldnt spend much time in the room and paid.
We went to the beach and were far from impressed, we thought Phi Phi was the beautiful beach of Thailand? We had to walk 10minutes through ankle deep water mixed with oil from the boats before we could get water deep enough and clean enough to sit/swim. I had enough and left Rosara to sunbathe on the sand whilst I looked at the mountain and thought "I can climb that". An hour or so later I was back from a sucessful mission telling Ro it has the best view and that we should both do it the next day, maybe for sunset because at 3pm when I climbed it was very hot.
We walked back towards the pier before tea to try and book a boat to Phi Phi Ley for the following day and got a half day tour for 250baht(5quid). We chose the earliest boat to try and beat the crowds and set off at 9am the following morning. At first we thought we had the boat to ourselves as we the only ones there but as always we were eager beavers 10minutes early and soon enough a large crowd of tourists all shape, sizes and nationalities gathered. We were put on the first boat with 7 hours and had a bumpy ride to the first stop off which was a quiet bay with really clear waters and no sooner had the driver said 30mins swi... I had dived off the boat heading towards a cave at the end of the bay. An american lad had the same idea and we reached the cave knackered after misjudging how far it was. I looked back at the boat and seen Ro in the water obviously enjoying it too. We climbed up into the cave and as we were deciding whether to be real life Lara Crofts and go deeper the shout came to go back to the boat. 30mins was up so we dived off the cliff back to swim back to the boat. Ro was already in the boat as we approached it and I seen her taking a photo of the American lad. It turns out she was blind and thought it was me haha. I climbed back in absolutley knackered and we set off to the next point on our tour.
We pulled into another quiet bay with even clearer waters and were told this time to grab a snorkel and goggles. This was really good seeing the hundreds of brightly coloured fish below us but unfortunatley my goggles seemed to be leaking in water and I couldnt be in the water long. Ro had the full 20minutes in but felt it when she climbed back out complaining she felt seasick. Her £5 wristbands off ebay had worked wonders so far but maybe this was a step too far. We were back on the boat riding some ridiculous waves that made the boat almost collapse and we soon arrived in Maya Bay. This was the beach from 'the beach'.
It was amazingly good but it was absolutley packed with visitors. Boats were side by side covering the entire length and this was apparently the quietest time to come. Unless you camped overnigh which we were told you could do for a price. Still even with the crowds it was really good and we had an hour here before we set back off towards Phi Phi Don.
The final stop was Monkey Beach which was exactly that, monkeys on a beach. I dont know how the monkeys werent obese the amount of fruit getting chucked and eaten but we had fun anyway throwing bananas to one in particular that could play cricket he was that good at catching (see video).
We headed back to the main island quite happy with our £5 tour that made coming to Phi Phi worth it, because the island itself wasnt much to shout about.
Later that day I persuaded Ro we should climb the mountain again so she could see what the fuss was about. We set off about 6pm which gave us 45mins until sunset. Fitness kicked in after 10mins and Ro was struggling after the steepest steps in history. We reached the top and I promised her the hard bit was over. We skipped viewpoint 1 and headed stright for viewpoint 2. 20mins later after some motivational speeches from me, we reached the summit and we sat down on the rocks with a coconut enjoying the view. It was definatley worth it as the views were amazing but I can't see Ro climbing any mountains any time soon. The trip down was much easier and we treated ourself to an all you can eat Thai buffet before falling asleep exhausted and full.
We left Phi Phi the next morning and had a cooked breakfat near the pier for the first time in ages. Eggs and Bacon never tasted so good and at 10am we set off on our next boat heading for Phuket.


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

BeachBeach
Beach

We told there are nicer parts away from tourists


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb