Sightseeing Around The Island


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
March 4th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Got collected (well, walked through the streets by a guide collecting people on his way - a people bus!) at 8.15am which was pretty early by our now lazy standards, but would have been a lie in at one point!

Managed to secure a space on the top deck of the boat, then it was off to our first stop - Maya Beach on Phi Phi Lai. For those not in the know, Phi Phi has 2 islands - Phi Phi Don where everybody stays and Phi Phi lai which has no accommodation, due to it mainly being rocks.
Maya beach is where they actually filmed 'The Beach' and you can see why, once you have managed to look past the numerous tourist boats and people that are there it is gorgeous. The sea really is turquoise blue, it's just a shame they really do over popularise it - if they could only spread the boats out so they are visiting at different times it would be soo much better.

As our boat was too big to go near the coast, it had to dock up a bit away and we were told we could wait 30 mins for a kayak to become free to paddle over there. However as we saw loads of people jumping in the water with snorkle gear on, we thought we would swim over there - until we realised that everybody else has stayed near the boats and we were the only ones swimming - whoopsies! We sort of realised why after a bit as there is so much boat traffic going to the shore - but we survived!

Again some of the coral has been ruined by the boats anchores but we still managed to see some amazing fish, including a really large eel as well!

After this we stopped at Viking Cave, again we weren't allowed near it due to it being protected by the Government and the size of the boat. However it is popular for having many drawings inside, the staff on the boat brought pictures around so we could see it.

The boat carried on cruising aound the coast of Phi Phi lai and then onto Phi Phi Don where it's first stop was Monkey Beach - seen it before but it was still beautiful. After a gormet meal of cheese sandwiches (which they provided) it was off to continue crusing around Phi Phi Don, passing our little desserted beach that was still suprisingly deserted!

Our next stop was at a small island just off the coast called Bamboo Island, it's tiny but sooo pretty! Again we had to sswim to the shore from the boat (certainly working ourselves today) but the snorkelling here was fantastic - loads of fish that would just follow you everywhere! Di even says she saw a water snake!

Back on the boat and after crusing around the rest of Phi Phi Don we stopped at a place called Shark Point where we went swimming with reef sharks again - fab or what (even though I did struggle swimming back due to the strong current).Then it was back to the port where, after scabbling over 2 boats we stepped back onto the pier.

What was going to be a quiet night resulted in us having a bucket or 2 and me getting a bamboo tatoo (how did that happen?).

We did try the Hippy Bar one last time, but as we got there at 1.45am and they shut the music off at 2am, we decided to head back and get some rest ready for our long journey back to Bangkok tomorrow.

Am gonna miss you Phi Phi!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb