SAVE Koh PhiPhi - the island of ratios


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Phi Phi.

The island has no roads and is one place which bore the brunt of the Boxing Day wave not so long ago. It is most famous for the movie "The Beach" which was filmed just around the corner. However, I will remember it for the only holiday destination where women clearly outnumber the boys significantly.

Not ones to rest, Leon and I wandered the rocks and rambling pathways until we stumbled across a grand white sand beach called Long Beach. It overlooked the warmest water I have ever swam in. It was again a scorcher and the water bearly quenched my thirst for a cool santuary out of the powerful sun.
However, the snorkelling was worthy of the swim and so it was a great afternoon.

That night we returned famished and met up with the English girls for a drink before a meal. We quickly passed into a drunken state after sharing a bucket.
A Bucket contains the following ingrediatns not recommended for consumption:
- 1x Thai red bull
- 1L Coke
- 1x hipflask of whiskey
- 5345x Thai loving!

In my daze, I remember having a great meal and
NightmareNightmareNightmare

The cat who promised us the Cricket World Cup semi - NZ v Sri Lanka served up the call of "yeah not today codgers"
then finding the most amazing bathroom I have ever seen. (pictured)
Just goes to say, 18year old English girls can be slightly dry at the best of times.
We then hit Hippies Bar which hosted a fire show which was fantastic. Soon after we stumbled out absolutely out of our minds from 2 more buckets. Do not underestimate the power of Thai whiskey!

We arose soon after, still feeling the effects and embarked on a day trip around the neighbouring islands. First stop was The Beach - where the movie was filmed. It was overcrowded with tourists and their boats. What a crock of doodoo.
We then went around a couple of snorkel spots which was great times.
Then to Monkey Island which had no monkeys... suprisingly.
The highlight of the day was breaking the paddle and being told I was going to have to pay and the Police would be called.
Sundown and I was ready to eat an elephant. A big feed and another big night... I forget the rest.

All fired up for the cricket, we had a relaxing day. I actually did not get up until around 4pm before going for a run in
Our beachOur beachOur beach

Just outside our hut was this bustling cosmopolitan of fishing vessels and white sand.
the fading light around the island.
We eventually found a place showing the cricket semi final and not the football!! A slimey Thai guy promised us Cricket could not deliver. So we spent 30mins racing around pleading for Cricket. We watched the first innings until around 1am. I had shots on me every wicket we took. We took 4 wickets, only, which was good for the back pocket but overall disappointing.

The bar closed due to lack of Kiwis/cricket lovers. On the way home we ended up going past and then in to another couple of bars. It was too easy on Phiphi!

We checked out the next day and I discovered my new favourite Thai food - Panang Curry. Spicy and tasty. Mmmmm!

Go PhiPhi, you little gem of a place and keep up those fantastic gal to guy ratios.







Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Long BeachLong Beach
Long Beach

Cooling off in the 40degree heat.
My dream looMy dream loo
My dream loo

We accompanied a group of English girls to a eatery. The best memory was the well decorated bathroom. Says a lot about English girls company (boo!)
FireshowFireshow
Fireshow

Good old Hippy Bar!
Fireshow IIFireshow II
Fireshow II

The crazy thing was I met this guy in Phuket... and wiped the floor with him in Pool. He needs to stick to the fire, me thinks.
The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

Anyone who is anyone, which means everyone, goes to the place where the movie was filmed.
The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

One more from the boat.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Not to shabby.
Out with bucketsOut with buckets
Out with buckets

Leon, me and our main man who we bumped into several times.
Post boat trip Post boat trip
Post boat trip

Couple of the girls from the boat- all dolled up for drinkies.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb