island vibes


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phayam
March 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

hey everyone!
a bit of an update...
the past month can be summed up with one word- "ocean." we began our coastal tour in sihanoukville, cambodia with fresh breaths of ocean winds after exploring one polluted city after another. my sand coated body kissed by the sun and instantly healed by the salt water. colorful sunsets complimented by full moon rising cycles that continue to keep us aligned with the universe. thatched roofed restaurants and bars bordering the beach that is now occupied by tourists. and although we came for relaxation shanti time, the desperation of others continues to keep us on our toes. women, children, and elders persistently hassling us for money. still heads walk by with platters full of papaya, mangoes, and pineapples balanced on top. children splashing in the water and climbing all over us for love and affection. individuals with missing limbs scoot by with the occasional halt to ask us for change. and as night falls, energy rises. papazon chairs set out around candle lit tables. rosy cheeks and bare feet. fresh lobster, squid, and crab caught form earlier in the day. and after this brief introduction to the gulf of thailand, we venture to the next island. we climb aboard the boat that is heading to the border and expect a smooth transition in water rather than land. accompanied by our two argentine travel partners, we set ourselves up on the upper deck. minutes after departure, we find ourselves soaking wet flying form one side of the boat to the other. afraid to climb down the railfree rocking edge, we breathe and try to tolerate the conditions. as reality set in, we realiz that the four hour ride would seem infinite as we rock and sway through the crashing waves. so we risk the climb, venture to the cabin, dry off, and slow down the pace as we return to where feels like home- thailand..."jai yen yen."

next stop...ko chang. warned of its overpopulation, we immediately head towards klohng prau beach which is supposed to be quieter and less crowded. arriving after dark, transportation is limited so we are forced to explore our options for the 15 km route. with four people, four large backpacks, and other random baggage, we opt for TWO motorcycles. unsure of how this seemed to be our best option, sarah and i reluctantly climb behind our argentine drivers, careful not to topple over. one backpack resting on the floor, while two people and one other pack join behind. scared for my life, i hold on as we curve through the paved roads of the island. as morning approaches, we rise to beautiful white sand beaches set amongst peaceful surroundings. palm trees scattered amongst fallen coconuts. warm bathtub dips in shallow clear waters. quiet and tranquil with nobody selling anything. swaying in wooden swings hanging from trees and continuously getting my feet wet in waves of emotions. and as each day passes by, we make it a point to stop and observe the sun vanish through the horizon into the water. colorfilled reflections and affections upon dusk and dawn.

last stop...ko phayam. the quadpod now separated and the dynamic duo continues on our path. truly a safe haven with absolutely deserted beaches. 3km of white sand with barely a soul in sight. humid jungle vibes with little escape from the sweltering heat. strong smells of fermenting cashew fruit fill our nostrils. brushing leaves, trickling waves, chirping birds, and buzzing insects are the only sounds we hear. bringing the noise with our emanating laughter. rising to mornings full of pondering jogs and silent meditations. falling asleep early, for there are only four hours a night of electricity. exploring leaf coated paths that lead us to small coves of nothing. swimming, frolicking, and sunbathing nude- exposing every part of ourselves to everything pachamama has to offer. and as our days are filled with relaxation, our nights are accompanied by slight fear and surprises. coming back to our bungalow one night with an unwanted guest in our bathroom- a poisonous tree snake. recovering form this fright we are introduced to a deadly centipede the next night coming up from the floorboards of our room. getting in touch with nature, we realize that everything in life must have balance. the yin and the yang...the tranquility and the fright. and as i close my eyes to feel where i am, my mind begins to wander. reflecting on the past 2 1/2 months...chapter one of the story i am not only writing but living as well. i am fulfilled and grateful for where i am, who i am, where i have been, and where i am going. my body feels strong, my mind is expanding, my arms are open, my spirit is soaring, and my heart is full... INDIA HERE WE COME!

much love and blessings to all*
jamie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb