The end of Koh Samui and the beginning of Koh Phangan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 25th 2013
Published: January 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So last time I wrote we were about to go and play pool before heading out for our first night in what felt like ages! We started of having a few drinks in our hostel to make it a bit cheaper and just before we were about to head out there was the biggest downpour of rain ever! It was the loudest rain Id ever heard and we were worried it wouldnt stop but luckily it ended as abruptly as it started and we headed off down to the strip of clubs and bars.

We started at a little place on the side of the street called 'road side bar' and it was literally some plastic tables and chairs and a little side bar with music playing and was actually really good fun. We were going to just have one drink and then move on down the street to some bigger places but we got chatting to a swedish couple and their friend and ended up staying there for about 4 drinks before heading off.

As this was our first night out in Koh Samui we didnt really know the best places to go, but they had already been out a couple of times and so rather than staying on the main strip which was just rammed with really drunk holiday makers, we took a back street turning and ended up in a totally different place with a much differnt atmosphere! It was the ladyboy district!!! hahaha!!

As soon as we got onto the road the guys got harrassed by a bunch of lady boys grabbing at them and asking them to go into the bars. They all seemed to like it though which I found rather disturbing but really funny! haha!

We tried to go into one place which was overlooking a river and seemed quite nice but it was really expensive and the barmaid was really rude so we just left straight away and found another little place which was only really small and had a pool table in the middle of it. There was only a couple of other people in there but they were playing really good music and you could pick what you wanted playing on the laptop on the side so we decided to see how much drinks were in there. They said a price but seeing how empty iot was and that they had no business we decided to be cheeky and just bartar the price of the drinks. In the end we got a really good deal and were getting quite cheap drinks all night and the lady boys were loving challenging everyone to pool and dancing haha. It was actually a really good night and we ended up being out until nearly 5am!

The next day we woke up feeling pretty rubbish and had arranged to meet up with the others at 11 on the beach but none of us made it! We did end up bumping into one of them a bit later on but he said the others were asleep. Spent most of the day lazing on the beach and the weather wasnt great so we were just messing about in the sea jumping over huge waves in the rain which was quite fun.

That evening we went out for a meal at a restaraunt where you can eat as much meat as you like for about 6 or 7 pounds. There was a full pig on the front over a spit roast which was a bit horrible as well as more ribs than you have ever seen and the most tender chicken you have ever tasted! It was really delicious but we both ate too much and then went back and fell asleep really early!

The next day we booked our ferry to Koh Phangan as we had had enough of Koh samui. It was OK there, but you wouldnt know that you are in Thailand really. Its just a place where you would go if you felt like clubbing every night and sleeping until lunch time every day. Its fun but one night of going out there was enough really.

We spent most of the day on the beach again and then headed back to our hostel where we were supposed to get picked up between 3 and 3.30... Well as we have learnt from travelling around asia, nobody ever likes to be on time! The ferry was due to leave at 4, and we were still sitting there waiting for the pick up at 3.50!! We were getting a bit stressed so Sean ran around to the shop where we booked the ticket and the woman said its fine they wouldnt leave without us..

About 10minutes later the bus arrived, and we made our way.. very slowly to the ferry port. We arrived at half past and luckily the ferry was still waiting! We got on and sat below deck as there was no space on the top of the boat. Played cards for most the journey and 50minutes we arrived in Koh Phangan :D

I had pre-booked our hostel for Koh Phangan about 3 months ago as we had heard it was really hard to find accomodation when you arrive close to the full moon party. I had purposefully booked a place on the opposite side of the island to where the full moon party takes place because apparently everything is cheaper and its just a lot nicer. The place I had booked is in a little area called Haad Yao. When we got off the ferry everybody was waiting outisde in mini busses to take you to your hostels and you had to wait until the mini bus was full until they would leave. Well, because we were staying on the opposite side to the full moon, and nobody else was really, we were waiting there literally until everybody else had already left! Grr! Travelling is so stressful!

Anyway we eventually left and made our way to the hostel and it was a much further drive than we had expected! It was pitch black by the time we got there and I hate arriving at night because you cant see what it looks like as there are never many street lights. We went to a bar for a drink and then just headed back to our hostel to watch a film as they have a massive selection and the owner is so nice she makes you feel so at home.

The next morning we got up and stepped onto our bungalow balcony and we have the nicest view looking out over the sea 😊 we went at got breakfast in the main part of the hostel and then headed out to rent a moped. We then headed down to a beach about 15minutes drive away and it is probably one of the nicest beaches we have been to as it was so quiet! Definitely a good thing about being away from all the action! Lazed on the beach all day and then headed back to ours for dinner. My throat was hurting me so much all day and was just getting worse and worse so we didnt end up going out which turned out to be a really good thing! As in the night Sean woke up and was really sick! Niether of us can be well for longer than a day out here!!!

Hes feeling a bit better thismorning though and my throat feels better so we are going to head out on a little adventure around the coast to see what we can find! I will upload more pictures in a day or two!

Advertisement



25th January 2013

Did you run away when he was sick this time? yes it does sound stressful travelling around on the boats! Sounds nice to be away from the main action it\'s a crazy place there! Enjoy though sounds so much fun! Sxx

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb