"Blair Witch Project" Meets "The Beach"


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
July 19th 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Let the Nightmare Begin!



So we stepped off the ferry from the mainland into what we thought was going to be paradise... the stress started on the ride to the other side of the Island... let me rewind.. way back in 2006 while researching my first holiday, I found a 'quaint' little resort called Mai Pen Rai Bungalows on Than Sadet Beach... its located on the western end of the island and the beach is home to only about 3 resorts. Its accessible by boat or 4WD (4WD journey takes about an hour) so you are in the middle of nowhere... I have always wanted to go there but never found the time during my travels.

The bungalows are basic small huts (some on the beach and some on the rocks at the far end of the beach). There is only electricity between 11am and 4pm then 6pm to midnight (ish). No hot water and rickety little bungalows a stones throw from the water.. we werent expecting too much considering we were paying 650 Baht per night... Anyway, we caught the 1pm resort 4WD there and the fun began - the driver threw all our bags on the roof... and thats exactly what it was, the roof with nothing to hold them on top... we spent the next hour swaying between stress and laughter .... thinking that due to the rough road our bags were either going to go flying off and either land in a massive water puddle on the side of the road, or even worse go over the edge of some of the cliffs we were driving past, never to be seen again... I dont think any of us relaxed the whole time! Only in Thailand!

Once at the resort, with bags still intact (thats Thailand for you) we were left to find reception by ourselves. Once found, a western woman was there who didnt even acknowledge our presence.. turns out she is the 'receptionist' and so a thai lady that clearly was in training, sorted us out into our bungalows. We were pointed in the direction of our bungalows, so off we went in search of our beachfront bungalows. After viewing the inside, we agreed to swap the bungalows around, as Narelle had got the big one and Jakki and I were crammed in the smaller one (Thanks Naz!)

Our first
The Treehouses BeachThe Treehouses BeachThe Treehouses Beach

Was gorgeous in the water... crystal clear!
impression of the resort was not what we had expected... the whole place seemed to have a bad vibe to it and it was dark/dingy... maybe it was the way in which we had been greeted that set that tone... We met a guy that had been staying there awhile and he told us over lunch that there was a GREAT little beach, a small 5 minute walk away... we decided to go check it out.. what we found was an amazing little Oasis! It was a gorgeous little beach with a small resort called 'The Treehouse'.

Narelle went for a massage late that afternoon so Jakki and I decided to head for a walk along to the other end of our beach. There is a restaurant at the top of the cliff called Plaa's which had great reviews so we thought we would have a sunset drink there... On the way up, we ran into a giant pig... seriously... we werent sure if it was wild or tame and whether we shoud be scared, but its moments like these that you wish you hadnt forgotten your camera!!! The pig was basically heading up to Plaa's too, up really steep stairs in front of us... it kept stopping like it was waiting for us... very funny. The moment it got to a fork in the path and looked like it was heading left, we bolted past it and made it to Plaa's. We were later told that it was the pet pig of Plaa's owner... they had rescued it from some dogs the year before...

Night One Terror



Narelle eventually found us after her massage and we had dinner at Plaa's before heading back to our bungalows... with no nightlife on the beach we all had a pretty early night just chilling out on our balconies reading and chatting. We eventually went to bed and our adventure took a Blair Witch twist.... At about 2am the generator switched off and the beach fell deadly silent.. all our lights and fans went out... and then about 5 minutes after 'lights out' our 'Blair Witch Project' nightmare started... Jakki and I could both hear people walking around our bungalow and it clearly sounded like they were purposely 'creeping trying not to make noise'. We were terrified.... there was also a series of 'bangs' against our bungalow walls. This went on for at least half hour. We both only had our mobile phones as lights so I had mine lit against one window and she had hers lit against the other... the windows were just bamboo like the rest of the hut and one (Jakki's side) was only secured by some string! It was so funny but also scary...

Eventually we decided we needed to investigate. We lit some candles and headed for the front door. I pushed Jakki forward saying 'you go first' (hehehe I'm a chicken I know!) before we headed outside... the candles were useless though and we couldnt see anything. We eventually headed back inside only to hear the noises start again.. we spent a very sleepless night terrified... thinking we were in a Thai version of Blair Witch Project... lol

The next morning I went outside to find Narelle in tears, turns out her mattress was modelled off the Flintstones cartoon series and resembled a rock! Her back had taken a turn for the worse and she was in alot of pain. Thai mattresses are renowned for being hard, but I think Narelle got one of the worse she could have.. I remember sleeping on one of those in Laos a few years back and if you have a bad back, its probably not the best nights sleep... We had breakfast at the Treehouse then headed for the beach, where we swam and tanned all day.... some of us more than others... by the end of the day two girlies were sunburnt and one wasnt (hint: the blog writer who stayed in the shade a bit typing wasnt!!!!!).

Night Two Nightmare



That night we headed back to the resort before dark hit (as the pathway was pretty treacherous) and were on our balconies when the storm hit... it was raining heavily so we decided we would eat at our resort. I tried to access internet but it was down due to the weather... It was about 8pm when we finally sat down to eat at the resort restaurant. I ordered a papaya salad and asked for it to be med/hot. What transpired next was a 12 birdseye chilli papaya salad being served, tears of pure hotness rolling down my face trying to eat it, and a bad recommendation of drink from the waiter... I will leave it at that but our experience in the restaurant that night combined with the rest of the events that took place became the final straw for us....

Since it was raining we all decided to have an early night and were in bed asleep by 9pm. At about 11pm I woke up REALLY sick and panic set in that I might need a visit to the hospital... After discussion with Narelle and Jakki (who both were wonderful in looking after me) and consultation with the waiting staff, I managed to eventually get back to sleep... but it turned into another long night as soon as the electricity switched off.... the noises and banging on our bungalow started again and Jakki and I spent a long long night terrified to sleep! I have no idea who it was, but I know I wasnt hallucinating!


Lets Get The F**K out of here!



The next morning I got up out of bed and went to sit, tired and cranky on the balcony. Narelle came over and asked if I wanted to leave.. I was like "YES NOW".. we then asked Jakki if she wanted to stay and she was like "NO" so the decision was made... we were out of there!!! I realised we had about 45 minutes until the Ko Samui boat turned up and after a really quick chat we all agreed Ko Samui it was... we rushed to get packed and were checking out just as the boat pulled up. I made a complaint to Clancy (the rude receptionist from Day 1) who didnt seem too concerned... and we couldnt get out of there quick enough.. jumping on the boat we all felt a sense of relief as the boat pulled away...

We made a loose plan for when we got to Samui... deciding to head to Ark Bar which is a well known backpacker place right in the middle of Chaweng Beach (the main party beach of Ko Samui). We decided we would look at their rooms, have some breakfast and then the girls would hang there while I did a quick search of the surrounding accommodation for something. We wanted budget considering we had lost 3 nights paid accommodation leaving Mai Pen Rai.

When we arrived at Ark Bar, I asked how much their rooms were... they quoted 1200 baht per room including breakfast... I went to have a look at one of the rooms and was stoked.. it was a complete bargain, and really nice!! I told the girls to check it out to make sure they were happy and in agreeance we took two rooms. EASY AS! We then headed to the restaurant where we devoured the best burgers in Thailand... for 1200 baht we got air-conditioning, hot water, balcony, fridge, electronic safety deposit box, cable tv, a gorgeous little pool, a resort right on the beach which is one of the beaches most popular drinking spots and breakfast each day! Incredible value... only downside? It was right under the flight path of the airport... but that didnt disturb us too much anyway!

Next blog: Samui Paradise!!

Love to all
Reet xxxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

The better beach!The better beach!
The better beach!

Some of the Treehouse's bungalows on top of the rocks
Ark Bar Room Ark Bar Room
Ark Bar Room

looking out to the balcony!


22nd July 2010

awesome blogs reety!! what a disaster on KPN you poor thing.. glad you're better now andhope you enjoyed your time in Samui Ark Bar rooms look so clean and fresh!! well done. xxx
22nd July 2010

What was the banging about ?
So did you ever find out what was the noise at night ! You have so much wild and wonderful things happen to you on your travels, thats what makes reading all your blogs so interesting !
22nd July 2010

Ark Bar burgers are great.
22nd July 2010

Sounds very scary, keep up the great work, loving the blogs.
22nd July 2010

Creepy Nights
Reet Wow you had freeky nights, i bet u were packin it. Keep up the blogs. Ed xx
22nd July 2010

Oh so sorry to hear about your traumatic time on Ko phangan, you really should have headed to ko tao instead. IMO its the best island of all the islands in thailand.
22nd July 2010

Heaven & Hell
what an adventure..glad u got out of there & are in paradise now. Keep blogging Reety..u always make my day Cheers
22nd July 2010

scary.........
loving the adventure so far, don't blame you for leaving the blair witch early lol xxxxx
23rd July 2010

Love your Blog
Jus stumbled upon you by accident and you are great. Thought you were quite funny and enjoyed every word you had to say. Thankyou
30th November 2010

Chris and Liz aka MisterMunkey
Wow I think I got it... shame you two clearly didnt... me Ignoramus?! LOL coming from you... please!!! That 'hard working' crew should learn to look after their guests a little more and not feed them drugs unknowingly.. shame on Mai Pen Rai and its little cult following (ie you!)
30th November 2010

Mister Munkey - Needs rehab.
Just wondering why anyone would listen to a chimp anyway? Got to love someone that obviously takes so much time writing their make believe profile. Get real and stop being a muppet then your comments might be taken seriously. I would prefer an honest view from someone who does not hide behind a make believe imaginary friend. Thank you for such an honest report Marita!
30th November 2010

Shame
MisterMunkey..the name says it all. Monkeys are famous for acting stupid & scratching thier butts in public. Reets blogs are honestly written & being fed drugs is far from paradise. Ur the ignoramous & should be ashamed of yourself for ur comments.
30th November 2010

I didnt realize people could leave funny comments here Reety, those couple are a crackup. Some people just cant handle it when others do not have the same "perfect" experience that they have. Everyone that knows you Reet, believes every word you have said about this place, you have no reason to lie about your time there. Its on the no go list for many of us!!
1st December 2010

Rude Rude Rude
Hi Cathy, yes I can choose to not publish their comments underneath my blog but due to their rudeness and ignorance I thought it was my duty to display their comments so everyone else can see what morons they are! you should see the next lot left!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb