Moon dance


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
June 26th 2010
Published: July 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The June Full Moon party on Koh Pha-Ngan's Hadrin beach surpassed all my expectations. There must have been about 4,000 people there (apparently a quiet party) and we made it our goal to stay awake until the sun rose- which we did easily!
The evening began with a few G&Ts on our Power Beach balcony, chatting to our neighbours and painting ourselves with glow in the dark body paint. Around 10pm it started to rain...softly at first but before we knew it, we were in the middle of a near monsoon. It was terrential- the wind was pretty fierce and we were considering our options- not exactly ideal party weather. An hour and some vodka shots later, 10 of us were huddled into our neighbours bungalow. Soon enough it died down and we took the opportunity to grab a taxi into Hadrin- (but the mountainous terrain made for one slippery taxi ride there).

Within minutes of the 10 (Pip,Tan, Michel, Laura, Mirium, Amanda, Hadley, 1 girl I can't remember, Lisa and I) of us getting there we had lost one and were not off to a good start. It was just so packed. Throughout the night we lost everyone at some stage, but lisa and I managed to stick together.
Basically the night can only be summed up as wonderful. We danced, drank sansom vodka being passed off as Smirnoff from sand castle buckets, then danced some more. Toileting was an issue but one we were able to overcome. There were many crazy sights (R rated and not for blog publication) but overall there was no agression and the vibe was relaxed. We didn't even feel that old!

Around 6am we stumbled out of Cactus and watched the sun rise. Before leaving we decided a cofee shake was called for before heading home around 8am. Lisa collapsed into bed after a swim and a shower but I was too awake. I ended up having a nap from about 10-12 which was enough to get me through the day. Sunday was overcast and we weren't complaining. The cooler weather meant that it was easier to sleep/ rest and everyone was happy about slepping. On sunday night we visited the Thong Sala food night market for our final supper. It was fabulous again. We loved that place and i loved the banana cream donuts for 15B.
After tea we Skyped Mia to learn about the Full Moon Party boat accident. We hadn't heard anything about it all day. I wasn't surprised the crash happened when it was raining- as I said it was so heavy. Thank goodness we were not involved. It was a little scary to hear that it was so close to us.
So, that's the end of our moon dance. A party I will never forget.

Advertisement



2nd July 2010

Great. Memories Chloe. You have had a ball and we are all pleased you weren't in the accident x

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb