Full Moon Party


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
April 11th 2010
Saved: March 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Ferry to Ko PhanganFerry to Ko PhanganFerry to Ko Phangan

Beers on the Boat.
Full Moon Party. In the 25 years since 20 backpackers held the first full moon party on Koh Phangan it has grown wildly in size and reputation. Held on the night of the full moon each month, it now attracts up to 25000 people to a single beach for a night of absolute mayhem. Koh Phangan is where Thailand lets everything hang out and where backpackers go to party all night long. More importantly, attending a full moon party was one of my ten goals for this trip. Which all adds up to finding ourselves on a boat pulling up to Koh Phangan on March 29th, the night before the party.

Little did we know that there would be no calm before the storm. Some people call it, “Full Moon Week” and party just as hard in the days preceding the big night. Lets just say that after the shenanigans of the 29th we were not all reunited until 4 P.M. the afternoon of the full moon party. Luckily for us we had met some Aussie girls on the ferry to Koh Phangan and were able to hang out at their amazing hotel (Great pool) and get some relaxation time in. Soon enough though it was time to head back to our hostel and get decked out for the full moon party.

Getting decked out basically means taking your shirt off and throwing brightly coloured paint all over your upper body. Some Swedish girls at our hostel went all out and spent like 3 hours painting themselves almost entirely blue to look like Avatar characters. We did not have the time to do something like this so here is what the three of us went with:

Scott: Wu Tang written on the stomach, lots of flashy lines and designs on the arms.

Curtis: Wrote “Full”on one arm and “Moon”on the other. Messed up the order and this ended up being interpreted as “Moon Full" by most people.

Duncan: Saw a Swedish guy that looked like his body was an abstract art canvas. Got this Swedish guy to spray paint all over him. Think a Jackson Pollock painting or less intellectually how Gary Busey paints Drama on Entourage.

The party itself was pretty unreal and definitely the biggest party I have ever been to. Our goal from the beginning was to make
Foam PartyFoam PartyFoam Party

This is where my sandals broke. May they rest in peace.
it to sunrise but this became difficult after our decision to start drinking at 9 P.M. Curtis started getting “the spins”at 3:30 A.M. and he made the mature decision to leave the party. As he was leaving he noticed Duncan sitting on the beach by himself with his head in his hands. He decided it was probably time for Duncan to leave too, so they headed to the hostel both convinced they would take a short nap and then return to the party. When I got to our place at 4:30 A.M. I found Duncan sleeping on our porch’s hammock and Curtis sleeping on a plastic chair outside the door. Keep in mind they both had keys to the two rooms we were renting, and there were two empty beds inside these rooms (Yeah we share beds sometimes, deal with it). Their logic was that if they didn’t sleep in beds they would be forced to wake up at some point and return to the party. I woke up a groggy Curtis and convinced him to open the door for me and come inside. Duncan woke up in the hammock when the sun came up. He did not return to
Our ReunionOur ReunionOur Reunion

The Aussie girls insisted on taking this picture of our reunion at 4 P.M. the afternoon of the 30th.
the party.

Our final two days in Koh Phangan were spent chilling at the nice hotel’s pool and doing activities. Curt and Duncan received a Muay Thai (Thai boxing) lesson but I wasn’t feeling well so I did not participate. All three of us also rented jet skis for fifteen minutes and ripped it up in the bay at high speeds. We also spent a lot of time chilling in our amazing ocean-view hammocks and doing a lot of reading/writing.

One other story worth telling was the BBQ dinner we had the night after the full moon party. These three Thai women (Maybe mid thirties) walked by our bungalow and said, “Come to the BBQ.” We were hungry so we followed them only to find out that, “The BBQ” was going to be the three of them cooking kebabs on their porch with a mini Hibachi.Their leaders name was Sue and she was more than a little bit crazy. She regaled us with tales of her hunting adventures and then showed us the big blade that she carries with her. They also couldn’t understand how to say “Curtis” so they just decided to call him “Donut”.
Full Moon Party 2010Full Moon Party 2010Full Moon Party 2010

We went early to take some pictures before dropping our cameras off at the hostel. This is why we are wearing shirts and looking sober in this picture.
This is because he was introduced right after Duncan, and they said, “Dunkin Donuts” to describe the two of them. This has become an ongoing joke as “Donut”is probably the best fat kid nickname of all time. The food they made was great but it started getting uncomfortable when they began to subtly hit on us. They wanted us to continue to drink with them but luckily we had made plans to meet up with other people, and were able to get out of there after thanking them for the food.

We left Koh Phangan after four nights a little bit older and a little bit dumber (Dead brain cells). Next up would be Ko Tao for a little scuba diving and my 24th birthday.

P.S. Masters Predictions: Phil wins by two. Tiger gets mad.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

More Pre Full MoonMore Pre Full Moon
More Pre Full Moon

My sandals broke in a foam party the night before which is why I'm wearing hiking boots. I bought new sandals ($3) 10 minutes after this picture.
Howling at the MoonHowling at the Moon
Howling at the Moon

This is how you pregame for this kind of party.
Post Full MoonPost Full Moon
Post Full Moon

Recovery Time.
ConfusionConfusion
Confusion

I woke up after the party with the name "Louis" written on my knee. I was immediately confused and more than a little scared as to why someone named Louis would be writing on my knee. I then remembered that one of the Aussie girl's name was Louisa and this made me feel a lot better.
Sincerity Drinking WaterSincerity Drinking Water
Sincerity Drinking Water

Because I can't think of anything worse than insincere water.
Free SexFree Sex
Free Sex

Because Duncan loves when he doesn't have to pay for sex.


Comments only available on published blogs

12th April 2010

Good prediction Phil won by 3 and Tiger got mad!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb